Brazil Floods : Death Toll Rises To 50

February 24, 2023
Brazil Floods : Death Toll Rises To 50

Brazilian authorities said Thursday evening that the death toll from floods and landslides triggered by torrential rains in the country’s southeast had risen to at least 50, with emergency workers continuing to dig through the wreckage.

“The more time passes, the less likely it is to find survivors. But we always work with that in mind. There can always be air pockets under the rubble,” emergency official Villas Boas told news site G1.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

According to the Sao Paulo state government, dozens of people are still missing after the disaster.

Key roads such as the Mogi-Bertioga and Rio-Santos highways remained blocked due to landslides, the government added, while state-run water company Sabesp managed to restore supply to the region.

Government and private aid groups were scrambling to provide necessities, but the logistics of reaching the isolated towns was creating difficulties.

The homeless are being sheltered in schools, kindergartens and churches in São Sebastiao. About 7.5 tonnes of aid items including food, water and hygiene kits have already been distributed to the victims, according to the state government of São Paulo.

READ ALSO:2022 Floods: The Good Example Of Peter Obi

Brazil’s environment minister, Marina Silva, visited Barra do Sahy on Wednesday, a district of the hardest-hit mountainous coastal municipality of São Sebastiao. While there, she was confronted by a local resident, Resident Reuri Nascimento, who told Silva he removed 22 bodies using his quad bike. He complained that victims of the floods and landslides had been abandoned and said supplies were not reaching them.

“Why aren’t the police here to help us? There’s food trafficking, we don’t know where the food is going,” he said.

Last weekend’s record storms dumped more than an entire February’s worth of rain in 24 hours on the picturesque beach resort town of Sao Sebastiao and the surrounding region, triggering violent floods and landslides that tore through precariously built hillside communities.

Sao Paulo Governor Tarcisio de Freitas admitted the official weather alert system had failed to avoid the tragedy. “We sent 2.6 million alerts by text message, but as we saw, that wasn’t effective,” he said. “Next rainy season, there will be sirens to warn people in high-risk areas.”

 

Somto Bisina
+ posts
Warner Bros To Film New ‘Lord of the Rings’ Movie
Previous Story

Warner Bros To Film New ‘Lord of the Rings’ Movie

Next Story

1 Year Anniversary: UN Vote Massively, Condemns Invasion Of Ukraine, Asks Russia To Withdraw

Featured Stories

Latest from World News

Florida Airport Set to Be Renamed After Trump

A major airport in the US state of Florida could soon be renamed after President Donald Trump, after lawmakers approved a bill backing the move. The Republican-led Florida legislature on Thursday voted to rename Palm Beach International Airport as “President Donald J.

Trump Weighs Military Action Against Iran as Diplomacy Continues

President Trump has been briefed on a series of military options for possible action against Iran, including scenarios that could involve sustained air and naval operations, according to senior U.S. and foreign officials. Even as preparations intensify, the White House is continuing

Peru Impeaches Interim President Amid Corruption Allegations

Peru’s Congress has removed interim president Jose Jeri, making him the country’s seventh leader in just ten years to be toppled amid corruption claims. Jeri, 39, faced accusations of irregularly hiring women within his administration and of alleged graft linked to a
Warner Bros To Film New ‘Lord of the Rings’ Movie
Previous Story

Warner Bros To Film New ‘Lord of the Rings’ Movie

Next Story

1 Year Anniversary: UN Vote Massively, Condemns Invasion Of Ukraine, Asks Russia To Withdraw

Don't Miss

Ethiopia Accuses Eritrea of Military Aggression, Backing Armed Groups

Ethiopia has accused neighbouring Eritrea of sending troops into its
Osinbajo’s Presidential Declaration: “I Don't Have Any Son Grown Up EnoughTo Declare”

Osinbajo’s Presidential Declaration: “I Don’t Have Any Son Grown Up Enough To Declare”

The All Progressives Congress (APC) chief presidential aspirant, Bola Ahmed