Twitter To Revoke Legacy Verification Badges In April

March 24, 2023
Twitter blue ticks

Twitter has announced a plan to revoke legacy verification blue check-mark badges beginning next month, as promised by CEO Elon Musk.

The social network, which the mega-billionaire bought last year in a debt-heavy $44 billion deal, announced on Thursday that starting April 1, it will remove the verified check-mark status of accounts that Twitter had been verified as notable before Musk’s takeover unless they have subscribed to Twitter Blue or the business-focused Twitter Verified Organizations plan.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

READ ALSO:Mark Zuckerberg Welcomes Third Child

The only individual users who will have verified blue check-marks are those paying for Twitter Blue, which in the U.S. costs $8/month via the web and $11/month through in-app payment on iOS and Android. Earlier Thursday, the company announced that Twitter Blue was now available worldwide.

Under the newly retooled verification policy, a gold check-mark for brand and business accounts, as well as a grey check-mark for official government accounts.

Gold or grey check-mark badges will cost $1,000 per month (plus tax) and $50 per month (plus tax) for any additional affiliated accounts, according to the platform.

The social media network first introduced verified accounts back in 2009, at no charge at the time, in an effort to help users identify accounts for celebrities, companies, politicians and news outlets “of public interest” were in fact genuine and not parody or fake accounts.

Musk opined that the old system of verification was “corrupt” and opened up blue check-marks to any paying customer, a move to democratize the status symbol, perhaps, but also a means for Musk to generate a much-needed new revenue stream. “Far too many corrupt legacy Blue ‘verification’ checkmarks exist, so no choice but to remove legacy Blue in coming months,” Musk had tweeted in November.

 

Somto Bisina
+ posts
Previous Story

2023 AFCON Qualifier: Guinea-Bissau Beats Nigeria, Tops Group

Next Story

US, Canada Reach Consensus On Unlawful Border Crossings

Featured Stories

Latest from Technology

EU Funding Boosts Nigeria’s Internet Expansion Plans

Faster and more reliable internet could soon reach millions of Nigerians after the European Union pledged €22m to support the country’s fibre-optic expansion. The funding, announced in Abuja, is part of the government’s Project BRIDGE initiative, which aims to extend broadband access

Gabon Suspends Social Media Amid Rising Unrest

Gabon’s media regulator has ordered the suspension of social media platforms “until further notice,” citing content that it says is fuelling division and unrest in the country. The High Authority for Communication (HAC) announced the move on Tuesday. Spokesman Jean-Claude Mendome said
Previous Story

2023 AFCON Qualifier: Guinea-Bissau Beats Nigeria, Tops Group

Next Story

US, Canada Reach Consensus On Unlawful Border Crossings

Don't Miss

Soludo’s New Chief Of Staff Is Two-term London Borough Mayor

New Governor of Anambra State, Professor Chukwuma Soludo has just
Obi Tenders Apology For Omissions In LP Campaign Appointments, Promises Correction In Days

Obi Tenders Apology For Omissions In LP Campaign Appointments, Promises Correction In Days

Presidential candidate of the Labour Party, Mr. Peter Obi has