Kenyans Make History, Elect More Women As Governors

The streets of Kenya are filled with jubilations as more women got elected as governors to run the affairs of their counties.

According to the Kenya’s Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC), at least seven women have been elected as governors, in the August 9 election held across the country. This is considered a huge improvement from the previous record of 2017, when three females were elected.

In 2010, a constitutional reform called the “two-third rule” was introduced in Kenya to enable more women get into leadership positions, so far it has not yielded much fruits.

Women are always attacked whenever they try to campaign for elective positions.

The seven women include:
Fatuma Achani (Kwale county), Cecily Mbarire (Emby county), Gladys Wanga (Homa Bay county) are the women who made history as first female governors in their counties.

Others are Anne Waiguru, (Kirinyaga County), Wavinya Ndeti (Machakos County), Susan Kihika (Nakuru County) and Kawira Mwangaza who won as an independent candidate in Meru County.

John Adoyi, PBA Journalism Mentee
+ posts
Previous Story

Eric ten Hag Rues Manchester United’s Rout Against Brentford

Next Story

Nottingham Forest Secures Dennis In £20m Deal

Featured Stories

Latest from Africa

Kenya to Begin Administering HIV Prevention Drug

Kenya will begin rolling out a new HIV-prevention drug in March, in what health officials have described as a major step forward in the fight against the virus. The drug, lenacapavir, is taken just twice a year and has been shown in

Gabon Suspends Social Media Amid Rising Unrest

Gabon’s media regulator has ordered the suspension of social media platforms “until further notice,” citing content that it says is fuelling division and unrest in the country. The High Authority for Communication (HAC) announced the move on Tuesday. Spokesman Jean-Claude Mendome said

Tinubu Urges Release of South Sudan Vice-President

President Bola Tinubu has called for the immediate and unconditional release of South Sudan’s First Vice-President, Riek Machar, as part of efforts to revive the country’s stalled peace process. In a message delivered by Vice-President Kashim Shettima, Mr Tinubu said Nigeria remained
Previous Story

Eric ten Hag Rues Manchester United’s Rout Against Brentford

Next Story

Nottingham Forest Secures Dennis In £20m Deal

Don't Miss

Authorities and civil society in greater jonglei identify key security threats, ponder solutions

Participants at an UNMISS workshop in Bor discussed how to

Zulum Mobilizes Civilian Force To Fight Boko Haram As Cameroonian Troops Withdraw Kirawa

Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno State has mobilised civilian Joint