15 feared dead, several missing in Uganda’s landslide
Landslide in Uganda. Photo credit: Mobile News

Heavy rainfall in Western Uganda on Tuesday night triggered a landslide that has left at least 15 people dead, several people missing and many injured.

According to the Red Cross Society officials in Uganda, the Tuesday night heavy rainfall in Kasese District, Western Uganda displaced hundreds of residents and destroyed properties. The rescue mission is still ongoing to save as many lives as possible, the Red Cross Society said on its official Twitter handle.
“15 dead bodies recovered from the landside affected community. Response action teams continue to offer rescue services together with the local authorities and community responders.”

Join our WhatsApp Channel

The international humanitarian organisation also said most of the dead so far are mothers and children.
Residents said the landslide started at midnight when the area was flooded, killing people in their sleep.

According to reports, it has become a recurring incident in the Kasese District for landslides to hit the area.
Last August, two bodies of flood victims were retrieved from River Nyamwamba and River Dunguliha. In 2020, eight people died in floods and mudslides that hit parts of Kasese District on the border with the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) after River Thaku burst its banks.

John Adoyi, PBA Journalism Mentee
+ posts
Previous Story

Africa can recoup over half of pandemic GDP losses by using evidence-based ‘accelerated learning’ to help children catch up 

You Breached Our Agreement - Full Text Of APC NWC Letter To Tinubu
Next Story

I Came For Family Meeting – Tinubu On APC Secretariat Visit

Featured Stories

Latest from Africa

Tinubu Urges Release of South Sudan Vice-President

President Bola Tinubu has called for the immediate and unconditional release of South Sudan’s First Vice-President, Riek Machar, as part of efforts to revive the country’s stalled peace process. In a message delivered by Vice-President Kashim Shettima, Mr Tinubu said Nigeria remained

Morocco Earmarks $330m for Flood-Hit Northern Regions

The Morocco government has approved a 3bn dirham ($330m) emergency package to support communities in its northern provinces after weeks of unusually heavy rainfall triggered widespread flooding. In a statement on Thursday, the royal palace said King Mohammed VI had ordered a
Previous Story

Africa can recoup over half of pandemic GDP losses by using evidence-based ‘accelerated learning’ to help children catch up 

You Breached Our Agreement - Full Text Of APC NWC Letter To Tinubu
Next Story

I Came For Family Meeting – Tinubu On APC Secretariat Visit

Don't Miss

Federal Poly Oko Rector Bans Public Display Of Wealth, Vows To Tackle Cultism, Other Malpractices

Oko Poly Rector Bans Display Of Wealth, Vows To Tackle Cultism, Other Malpractices

The newly appointed Rector of the Federal Polytechnic, Oko in
#OndoDecides2024: Tunji-Ojo Lauds INEC’s Professionalism Amid High Voter Turnout

#OndoDecides2024: Tunji-Ojo Lauds INEC’s Professionalism Amid High Voter Turnout

Minister Praises INEC and Security Agencies The Minister of Interior,