UN Join Forces With Zimbabwe To Provide $40m Food Relief Package For Citizens

The package is for 700,000 people
September 13, 2022
UN Join Forces With Zimbabwe To Provide $40m Food Relief Package For Starving Citizens

The United Nations’ World Food Program (WFP) has said it is working with the government of Zimbabwe to provide food relief package worth $40 million starting from October, to Zimbabweans that are on the brink of starvation.

Food crisis was said to have been caused by the current war in Ukraine which has halted export of agricultural products, coupled with low rainfall in the East African the country that has reduced the annual output of the harvest season.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

Speaking with Reuters, the WFP representative in Zimbabwe, Franscesca Erldelmann said “I do not think this is a famine as yet, but that does not mean that it is good. We are preparing for a response that will take off in October up to March. We are working with government on a joint plan for the food deficit mitigation program and that is for 700,000 people.”

The government of Zimbabwe had earlier this year predicted that white maize, which is a staple food in the country, is going to reduce in supply by almost half due to low rainfall but the government still has some grains from last bountiful harvest.

“Cabinet takes this opportunity to reassure the nation that, despite the decline in production owing to the vagaries of the weather, there is, however, enough maize in stock,” the government said.

Maize production reduced during the 2021/2022 season from 2.72 million tons to about 1.56 million tons, threatening starvation for about 3.8 million Zimbabweans.

John Adoyi, PBA Journalism Mentee
+ posts

Featured Stories

Latest from Africa

Tinubu Urges Release of South Sudan Vice-President

President Bola Tinubu has called for the immediate and unconditional release of South Sudan’s First Vice-President, Riek Machar, as part of efforts to revive the country’s stalled peace process. In a message delivered by Vice-President Kashim Shettima, Mr Tinubu said Nigeria remained

Morocco Earmarks $330m for Flood-Hit Northern Regions

The Morocco government has approved a 3bn dirham ($330m) emergency package to support communities in its northern provinces after weeks of unusually heavy rainfall triggered widespread flooding. In a statement on Thursday, the royal palace said King Mohammed VI had ordered a
stockexchange 1
Previous Story

Market Cap Rises N1.08 billion, As Nigerian Stocks’ Growth Slows

WEIRD! Gardener Builds House For Rats To Keep Them Warm (SEE PHOTOS)
Next Story

WEIRD! Gardener Builds House For Rats To Keep Them Warm (SEE PHOTOS)

Don't Miss

Appointment of Mr. Solomon Mugera as Director, Communication and External Relations

The African Development Bank Group is pleased to announce the
Nigeria's  Information Ministry Partners With Angola On Media

Nigeria’s  Information Ministry Partners With Angola On Media

Minister of Information and National Orientation, Alhaji Mohammed Idris, has