Car Bomb Blasts Kill Over 100, Injure 300 In Somalia

Double Car Bomb Kills Over 100, Injures 300 In Somalia
Victims of the Somalia car bomb blast being evacuated. Credit: Associated Press

The citizens of Somalia have been thrown into grief as double car bomb blast in the capital, Mogadishu has left at least 100 dead and injuring 300 more.

Somali President, Hassan Sheikh Mohamud who gave the casualty figure after visiting the sites of the twin blast on Sunday, said the death toll could rise if medical attention is not given to some of the critically injured.

The blast occured at the busy Education Ministry, close to a popular market intersection.

This is considered the deadliest attack in the country in recent times after the October 14, 2017 attack in the same place killed over 500 persons injuring many more.

The al-Qaeda linked Al-shabaab terror group  has claimed responsibility for the attack. The President in a statement through his verified Twitter handle,  described the group as “morally bankrupt.”

“Today’s cruel and cowardly terrorist attack on innocent people by the morally bankrupt and criminal Al-Shabaab group cannot discourage us but will further strengthen our resolve to defeat them once and for all,” President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud stated.

Condemning the attack, the African Union commission chairperson, Moussa Faki Mahamat, called on the international community to assist Somalia in the fight against terrorists.

He said the global community should “redouble its efforts to ensure robust international support to Somalia’s institutions in their struggle to defeat terrorist groups.”

The first blast occurred at 2 p.m. local time and the second one went off when ambulance and rescue workers were trying to arrest the situation and take dead and injured to the hospital.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

The Horn of African country’s president vowed that Al-shabaab would not take over the country saying “our government and brave people will continue to defend Somalia against evil.”

Al-shabaab is an Islamic fundamentalist group based in Somalia which came into prominence in 2006 during the transitioning federal government in the country.

It has since then staged different attacks in the Somalia and other places in East Africa.

It seeks to topple the government of Somalia and establish a fundamental Islamic state in the country, a move that has been opposed by the international community.

Though the activities of the terrorists have been degraded by the African Union military mission in Somalia, it has been able to carry out attacks in South and central Somalia.

In August, the group carried out an attack on the Hayat hotel in the nation’s capital, Mogadishu which resulted in the death of 20 people after a 30 hour standoff.

John Adoyi, PBA Journalism Mentee
+ posts
9mobile Appoints Nkem Oni-Egboma As Chief Financial Officer
Previous Story

9mobile Appoints Ex-Zenith Pensions Custodian MD Nkem Oni-Egboma As Chief Financial Officer

Next Story

Ajakaye, Omilana, Bello, Okenwa Shine Versus Germany As Flamingos Win U-17 World Cup Bronze 

Featured Stories

Latest from Africa

Sierra Leone Honours Nigerian Military Officers for Peace Efforts

The President of Sierra Leone, Julius Maada Bio, has awarded national honours to two senior Nigerian military officers in recognition of their contributions to peace and regional stability. The awards were presented during the 17th Armed Forces Day celebration of the Republic

Mugabe’s Son Arrested in South Africa Over Alleged Shooting

Bellarmine Chatunga, the son of former Zimbabwean leader Robert Mugabe, has been arrested in South Africa following an alleged shooting at his residence in Johannesburg. Police say the incident took place at his home in the upmarket Hyde Park suburb, where an

Kenya to Begin Administering HIV Prevention Drug

Kenya will begin rolling out a new HIV-prevention drug in March, in what health officials have described as a major step forward in the fight against the virus. The drug, lenacapavir, is taken just twice a year and has been shown in

Gabon Suspends Social Media Amid Rising Unrest

Gabon’s media regulator has ordered the suspension of social media platforms “until further notice,” citing content that it says is fuelling division and unrest in the country. The High Authority for Communication (HAC) announced the move on Tuesday. Spokesman Jean-Claude Mendome said

Tinubu Urges Release of South Sudan Vice-President

President Bola Tinubu has called for the immediate and unconditional release of South Sudan’s First Vice-President, Riek Machar, as part of efforts to revive the country’s stalled peace process. In a message delivered by Vice-President Kashim Shettima, Mr Tinubu said Nigeria remained
9mobile Appoints Nkem Oni-Egboma As Chief Financial Officer
Previous Story

9mobile Appoints Ex-Zenith Pensions Custodian MD Nkem Oni-Egboma As Chief Financial Officer

Next Story

Ajakaye, Omilana, Bello, Okenwa Shine Versus Germany As Flamingos Win U-17 World Cup Bronze 

Don't Miss

Umo Eno, ADA And The Politics Of 2027

My Take On Court Conviction Of Umo Eno And The Warrant of Arrest Issued Against Him, By Etim Etim

I have just spoken to the Publisher of Mr. Simon
Hoodlums Attack INEC Office, Police Station, Kill 16-year-old In Anambra

Gunmen In Anambra Attack Ojoto INEC Office, Nnobi Police Station, Kill 16-year-old

Unidentified hoodlums have attacked the office of the Independent National