Kenya’s First Lady Calls For Prayer As Supreme Court Okays LGBTQ

Kenya’s first lady, Rachel Ruto, has asked all Kenyans to pray against the legalisation of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) community in the country.

The first lady’s declaration comes days after Kenya’s Supreme Court ruled that LGBTs have the right to freedom of association in the country just like everyone else as provided in the constitution.

According to Lady Ruto, “We should not even try to talk about LGBT. This is a conversation we should not even have in our country because accepting it is like throwing our morals into the dustbin,” she said.

READ ALSO: Nigerian VP Osinbajo Attends Kenya’s William Ruto Inauguration Today

Homosexuality is not allowed in Kenya. It is 14 years imprisonment for anyone who is caught.

However, last month, Kenya’s Supreme court’s decision upheld that LGBT communities should be allowed to register an association saying that it was wrong for the Nongovernmental Organisation registration board to deny the National Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (NGLHRC) from registering in 2013.

“It would be unconstitutional to limit the right to associate, through denial of registration of an association, purely on the basis of the sexual orientation of the applicants,” the judges who voted three against two said.

The Supreme Court ruling was met with protest and criticism from the Kenyan president, William Ruto, the first lady and religious leaders in the East African country.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

The government said it will challenge the ruling, saying the matter is for public consultation not for the court.

John Adoyi, PBA Journalism Mentee
+ posts

Featured Stories

Latest from Africa

Tinubu Urges Release of South Sudan Vice-President

President Bola Tinubu has called for the immediate and unconditional release of South Sudan’s First Vice-President, Riek Machar, as part of efforts to revive the country’s stalled peace process. In a message delivered by Vice-President Kashim Shettima, Mr Tinubu said Nigeria remained

Morocco Earmarks $330m for Flood-Hit Northern Regions

The Morocco government has approved a 3bn dirham ($330m) emergency package to support communities in its northern provinces after weeks of unusually heavy rainfall triggered widespread flooding. In a statement on Thursday, the royal palace said King Mohammed VI had ordered a
PenCom Hits 25 Firms With N666.03m Fine Over Pension Default
Previous Story

PenCom Hits 25 Firms With N666.03m Fine Over Pension Default

Aliko Dangote Spent $18.5 billion To Build Refinery, Owes $2.7 billion Debt
Next Story

Dangote Refinery Won’t Save Nigeria From Looming Fuel Scarcity – New Report

Don't Miss

Cost-reflective Electricity Tariff Versus Solar Energy Cost: The Dilemma Of Nigerian Consumers

Recent pronouncement by the Federal Government about plans to fully
AFP BXT v Preview BangladeshPoliticsUnrest

Mass Resignation Grips Bangladeshi Govt As Protesters Target Officials

A wave of mass resignation has ensued in Bangladesh’s government,