Insecurity: FG Will Handle Threats With Firmness They Deserve – Garba Shehu

April 14, 2022
Six Boys, 23 Women Drown As Boat Capsizes In Sokoto
Six Boys, 23 Women Drown As Boat Capsizes In Sokoto

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu has reassured everyone that the Federal Government will remain committed to securing the lives and property of Nigerians amid the rising spate of insecurity and call for the resignation of the President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration.

According to Shehu: “Nigerians are assured that the government will keep its promise to the nation and threats to security will be handled with the firmness they call for, and the government will remain firm in securing the country’s unity and progress.”

Join our WhatsApp Channel

The presidential aide also reacted to the now viral statement by a northern group trumpeting the resignation of President Muhammadu Buhari over the continued killings in the country.

Publicity, he explained, is the oxygen for politicians who have failed to connect with voters in a democracy and a resignation call on the President is not the solution to the security problems facing the country.

The presidential aide went ahead to outline some of the actions the government has taken to address the situation.

He chronicled: “In response to the recent spike in terrorist activity, particularly in the Kaduna and Niger States axis, the defence establishment, in response to presidential directives, has realigned and reorganised the ongoing operation in the areas, as well as that going on in the Niger Delta region.

“The new operations structures are being reinforced with land-based assets to increase the efficiency of the troops and intelligence is equally being reinforced. The air defence system is being reinforced with newly acquired jets and drones which assemblage and training for operators have been hastened to meet the current exigencies.”

He also hinted that the country is equally getting assurances of early delivery of equipment on order from manufacturers and effort is ongoing to conclude other major procurements still in process.

He revealed that the government, at a meeting of the Federal Executive Council on Wednesday morning, approved the procurement of the ‘largest ever’ single procurement of military vehicles.

“At the same time, similar major operations are going in the South-East and the South-South where the economic life wire of the nation and electricity transmission lines are currently being secured from saboteurs,” said the President’s spokesman.

“What the sponsored saboteurs aim to show is that the government cannot provide power by sabotaging equipment at switches and other vital points. They will not succeed.

“The public knows who is who, and who has done what in our country’s governance. Massive gains being made will shortly be manifesting. Large number of arrests have equally been made.”

Shehu stressed the need for people to know what the government was doing to deal with the security situation, and for politicians to come to terms with the fact it was beneficial to help preserve the state.

“People don’t have to destroy what is there in a desperate quest to get power,” he concluded.

 

+ posts

Featured Stories

Latest from News

Nigerians Lured Into Foreign Wars, FG Warns

The federal government has warned that a growing number of Nigerians are being recruited under false pretences to fight in armed conflicts abroad. In a statement on Sunday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said some Nigerians had been promised well-paid jobs, security work,

Tinubu Sends Shettima to Kano after Singer Market Fire

President Bola Tinubu has asked Vice-President Kashim Shettima to lead a federal government delegation to the northern city of Kano to commiserate with traders affected by a major fire at the Singer Market. The blaze, which started on Saturday evening and burned
Six Boys, 23 Women Drown As Boat Capsizes In Sokoto
Previous Story

Six Boys, 23 Women Drown As Boat Capsizes In Sokoto

INEC Distributes Materials In Osun For Saturday Polls
Next Story

Nearly 45% Of Voter Registration Invalid – INEC

Don't Miss

Naira vs Dollar: What To Expect This Week (24th-30th, March 2025)

Dollar Rate Increases In Black Market

The parallel market recorded N1,479.99 kobo per United States dollar
Naira Scarcity: Angry Warri Youths Attack First Bank, Burn Access Bank

Naira Scarcity: Angry Warri Youths Attack First Bank, Burn Access Bank

A group of angry youths in Warri, Delta State, on