Top 2 Options To Stay In The UK After University
Top 2 Options To Stay In The UK After University

Top 2 Options To Stay In The UK After University

3 mins read

It’s common but salutary knowledge that the time spent working abroad will strengthen your CV and help you establish your career if you decide to return home. But if you’re thinking about immigrating, then earning a degree from an international university is a great first step in that direction.

Many countries have realised that the stream of foreign workers trained by their trusted institutions can contribute to their economies. As a result, they’re offering graduates a way to extend their stay after completing their studies.

If you’d like to take advantage of this opportunity, you may need to come up with a long-term strategy that starts with doing some research.

One big tip is to find out what kind of workers your country of choice requires and look at their skills shortage list — it’s advisable to study something that will fill one of these gaps.

READ ALSO  100 million Africans at risk of "neglected' diseases, as UK ends intervention

Remember that the pathway to permanent residency or citizenship isn’t always an easy one. You may have to go through multiple visas along the way: For example, going from a student visa to a postgraduate visa to a skilled worker visa. This is where having a clear plan is important. Just use immigration experts like us and you will just be fine.

Two options to stay in the UK after university                         

You have two options to stay in the UK after you’ve successfully completed your studies:

The UK: The Graduate and Skilled Worker visas

  1. The Graduate visa

You can switch from a Student visa to a Graduate visa, which allows you to stay in the country and work, or look for work, for two years. If you have a PhD or other doctoral qualification, you’ll be able to stay for three years.

READ ALSO  IMF Wants Urgent Action To Accelerate Vaccinations For 60% Population

Interestingly, you don’t have to have a job offer to qualify for this visa. But take note that the Graduate visa cannot be extended, but you can switch to a Skilled Worker visa to extend your stay. After holding a Skilled Worker visa for five years, you can apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) and, after holding ILR for 12 months, you can apply for British citizenship.


  1. Skilled Worker visa

You’re now able to switch from a Student visa to a Skilled Worker visa without leaving the UK.

Students can switch to a Skilled Worker visa more easily because they’ll enter the job market under the new entrant regulations, which have a lower salary requirement.

READ ALSO  Buhari Arrives Imo, Expected To Commission Some Projects

Ready to stay abroad after school? Great!

Foundationally, you can start with either of the two options we’ve just handed you.

 Good luck!

 Please SHARE this post.




+ posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.