Dangote Projects Food Crisis For Nigeria

March 15, 2022
Dangote Projects Food Crisis For Nigeria
Dangote Projects Food Crisis For Nigeria

Chairman of the Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote, has alerted that Nigeria may face food scarcity by June due to the Russia-Ukraine war as a good percentage of foodstuffs and fertilizers come from the region.

The African richest man stated this recently at the 4th Annual Nigerian Food Processing Nutrition Leadership Forum held in Lagos.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

He said: “The issue is that there will be a shortage of wheat and a lot of products because as we speak a lot of fertilizers are imported from these countries. Russia and Ukraine do almost 13 per cent of the world’s urea and 26 per cent of the world’s potash and then phosphate fertilizers.”

According to the billionaire: “There will be a scarcity of food because generally, people will not be able to access fertilizers going forward. We will not see the effect now but in the next two or three months, even the US will not be able to grow the same number of plants they did last year because of this.”

Calling for an immediate ban on maize exportation as a first step to nip the imminent famine, Dangote said:

“…we need to sit down and have a discussion about this. Because right now you’ll start seeing people exporting maize which I think we need to stop so we don’t create shortages domestically and we really need to make sure that we grow more so that we don’t have a shortage of food.”

Similarly, the CEO of Flour Mills of Nigeria, Mr. Boye Olusanya also called for urgent action to stop the impending food crisis, noting that Russia and Ukraine are numbers one and five respectively in wheat exportation in the world.

+ posts

1 Comment

Comments are closed.

Previous Story

Saudi Media Group Becomes Latest Suitors To Show Chelsea Interest

Next Story

African Media Agency launches AMA Academy, the first free tool for African journalists

Featured Stories

Latest from News

Police Arrest TikTok User Mirabel Over Alleged Rape Claims

The Ogun State Police Command  has arrested a TikTok user, known as Mirabel, after an investigation found her viral claims of sexual assault were fabricated. Prime Business Africa had reported the Mirabel rape allegation when she was called upon by the Lagos

NCDMB Insists on Mandatory Remittance of 1% Nigerian Content Levy

The Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board (NCDMB) has reiterated that operators, contractors and service companies in Nigeria’s upstream oil and gas sector must continue to remit the statutory one per cent Nigerian Content Development Fund (NCDF) levy into accounts officially designated

Trump Weighs Military Action Against Iran as Diplomacy Continues

President Trump has been briefed on a series of military options for possible action against Iran, including scenarios that could involve sustained air and naval operations, according to senior U.S. and foreign officials. Even as preparations intensify, the White House is continuing
Previous Story

Saudi Media Group Becomes Latest Suitors To Show Chelsea Interest

Next Story

African Media Agency launches AMA Academy, the first free tool for African journalists

Don't Miss

'How FG Can Use Strategic Communication to Bridge Communication Gaps with Youths' - Odukoya 

‘How FG Can Use Strategic Communication to Bridge Communication Gaps with Youths’ – Odukoya 

The Federal Government will benefit immensely from engaging well-trained public
Image of Ghana Coco Board Logo

Cocoa Expansion Impossible Without COCOBOD Debt Write-Off

Ghana’s plan to revive cocoa production and expand farmland next