FG Targets 3,500 For  Leprosy Preventive Treatment In Bauchi

July 14, 2021
images 81
images 81

The Executive Director, National Leprosy and Tuberculosis Relief Jos, Dr Tahir Dahiru, has said that 3,500 people would be targeted in Bauchi State alone for the single dose Rifampicin post exposure prophylaxis (SDR-PEP)treatment under the Ready 4PEP project.

Dahiru disclosed this on Tuesday at the launch of the project in Misau Local Government Council of the state, citing Bauchi, Niger, Jigawa, Kebbi, Ebonyi and Cross River as the benefiting states in Nigeria.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

He said that  the programme would target 21,000 persons across the six benefitting states with contacts confirming that new and old patients would receive the SDR-PEP treatment.

“The treatment is in single dose and will target  social and family contacts of confirmed leprosy patients in the selected areas.

“The pilot exercise was billed for three years according to the work plan, but because of COVID-19, baseline survey was delayed, so the donor agreed the project to be run from 2020 to 2023.

“The treatment consists of a single dose of the antibiotics rifampicin and is suitable for both children and adults,” he said.

In his speech, an official of the National Tuberculosis, Leprosy Control Center (NTLCP), Mr Umman Bassey said that SDR-PEP was a strategy towards zero leprosy infection, disease and disability.

“Nigeria is among the 23 countries around the world that contribute 97 percent of the world’s leprosy burden, with2,424 new leprosy cases reported in 2019 alone.

“The implementation of the Single Dose Rifampicin Post Exposure Prophylaxis (SDR-PEP) is a multi-stakeholder project, to be conducted in Nigeria and Mozambique,” he said.

He added that the initiative was a collaboration between Netherlands Leprosy Relief and the International Leprosy, Tuberculosis Relief Nigeria.

Bassey said that the exercise was aimed at implementing active case search, contact screening and administration of the single dose, by trained personnel provided with adequate logistics.

Dr Sani Dambam, Chairman, Bauchi State Agency for the Control of HIV/AIDS Tuberculosis, Leprosy and Malaria (BACATMA), said that Shira and Misau LGAs were selected for  the pilot exercise, due to their prevalence rates.

In his contribution, the Director, Primary Healthcare, Misau Local government council, disclosed that five centres had been established within the council area for the treatment of leprosy.

Alhaji Suleiman Ahmed, the Emir of Misau, applauded the Federal government initiative aimed at curbing the disease, while also commending all stakeholders in the programme for improving public health.

Website |  + posts
images 80
Previous Story

COVID-19: Delta Governor Cautions Against Vaccine Hesitancy

Buhari
Next Story

Nigeria Loses $26.3bn To Maritime Crimes Yearly – Buhari

Featured Stories

Latest from News

Kano Shuts Entertainment Centres for Ramadan

The Kano State Government has ordered the closure of all entertainment centres across the state ahead of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. The directive, announced on Tuesday by the Kano State Censorship Board, affects venues popularly known as gala houses as well as

Nigerian Senate Reduces Notice Period for 2027 Elections

The Nigerian Senate has amended the Electoral Act Amendment Bill, reducing the notice period for elections from 360 days to 300 days. The change gives the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) flexibility to schedule the 2027 presidential and national assembly elections between December 2026 and
Nigeria Now Leading Cement Exporter In Africa – Dangote

Why Tinubu’s Policies Can Crash Dollar Rate – Dangote

The Chairman of the Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote, has said that current government policies could significantly strengthen the naira against the US dollar, potentially bringing the exchange rate down to as low as ₦1,100 to $1. Dangote made the remarks on Tuesday

Gabon Suspends Social Media Amid Rising Unrest

Gabon’s media regulator has ordered the suspension of social media platforms “until further notice,” citing content that it says is fuelling division and unrest in the country. The High Authority for Communication (HAC) announced the move on Tuesday. Spokesman Jean-Claude Mendome said
images 80
Previous Story

COVID-19: Delta Governor Cautions Against Vaccine Hesitancy

Buhari
Next Story

Nigeria Loses $26.3bn To Maritime Crimes Yearly – Buhari

Don't Miss

NAF C-130 Lands Safely in Burkina Faso Amid Regional Airspace Dispute

On Monday, a Nigerian Air Force (NAF) C-130 transport aircraft
Move Over 'The Good, The Bad And The Ugly' - 6 New Characters In Nigerian Setting

Chrisland Video: Screaming Blue Murder Over Their Immoral Juvenile Films

I won’t rest easy on this Chrisland Schools scandal. I