Killing Of Six: Customs Boss Orders Probe

August 12, 2021
Hameed Ali 1
Hameed Ali 1

NIGERIA Customs Service has said it will conduct an investigation into the accident that led to the killing of six people in Jibia, Katsina State.

Comptroller-General of Customs, Hameed Ali, on Wednesday ordered an investigation into the accident involving an operational vehicle of the organization, which killed six people at the border town of Jibia, Kastina State, on Monday.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

Customs Spokesperson, Joseph Attah, said it was an unfortunate operational accident caused by brake failure.

While conveying the Comptroller-General’s message, Attah all injured persons would receive the best medical attention.

He said, “As a responsible government agency, we are mindful of the duty of care imposed upon us to ensure the safety of our citizens. Unfortunately, our efficiency is sometimes undermined by unanticipated failures in our equipment as in this case which was caused by brake failure, resulting in the death of eight fellow Nigerians and injuries to others at the border town of Jibiya, Katsina State.

“Nigeria Customs Service extends heartfelt condolences to the immediate families of the deceased, the government, and the people of Katsina State. NCS is doing all it takes to get the best treatment possible for the injured and will do what it can to ameliorate the pains of those who lost their loved ones.

“Even though human actions cannot always keep society accident-free, the CGC has already directed a holistic investigation into the incident with a view to preventing a recurrence of this unfortunate accident in the future.”

Many well-meaning Nigerians including traditional rulers and members of the National Assembly have called on Ali to stop the unwarranted killing of unarmed citizens in the southwest but the Comptroller-General has refused to heed the calls.

Prime Business Africa had earlier reported the incident when it happened on Monday stating that six people died immediately while about 30 were injured .

The Katsina State house of Assembly had written through the clerk to the state government requesting that border drill team be banned in the state.

+ posts

Featured Stories

Latest from News

Ford Foundation President Concludes First Official Visit to Nigeria

The President of the Ford Foundation, Heather Gerken, has concluded her first official visit to Nigeria, reaffirming the foundation’s 65-year partnership with the country and its commitment to advancing democracy, human rights and social justice across West Africa. During her visit, Gerken

Kenya to Begin Administering HIV Prevention Drug

Kenya will begin rolling out a new HIV-prevention drug in March, in what health officials have described as a major step forward in the fight against the virus. The drug, lenacapavir, is taken just twice a year and has been shown in
2023 Elections: Governors, Candidates Who Won, Lost At Supreme Court

Ebonyi Governor Eases Curfew After Deadly Attack

The governor of Ebonyi State, Francis Nwifuru, has relaxed a curfew in Amasiri, in Afikpo Local Government Area, following a deadly attack in a neighbouring community. The new curfew now runs from 6pm to 7am, replacing the earlier restriction that kept residents
Heirs Towers
Previous Story

Heirs Insurance Upgrades Website

A52CED59 0AE8 4704 B555 7439B6EA6F71
Next Story

Stakeholders Call For Healthcare System Reform

Don't Miss

CBN Releases Another Around Of $10,000 FX To Each BDC, Mandates Them To Sell At N1,117/$1

Dollar Gains Against Naira, As Foreign Exchange Traders Await CBN’s MPC Decision

On Tuesday, 23 May, the United States Dollar was sold
Why President Tinubu Rejected Me As Ministerial Nominee – El-Rufai

DSS Links El-Rufai to Disappearance of Critic ‘Dadiyata’

Department of State Services (DSS) has reopened its investigation into