Ladipo Market: Fire Service advise Lagosians on safety

1 min read

Head of Public Education, Lagos State Fire Service, Mr. Amodu Shakiru, has advised Lagosians to be careful when using electrical appliances, comply with safety rules and regulations and avoid acts of negligence.

On Wednesday, July 7, 2021, a building within Ladipo Market in Lagos caught fire. The building housed four flats. Out of the four flats, three were for storing petrochemical substances, while the last flat was a residential apartment.

Speaking with Prime Business Africa in the wake of the Ladipo Market fire outbreak, Shakiru said the causes of fire outbreaks could either be natural or accidental. “Most times when there are cases of an outbreak, somebody somewhere forgot to apply safety rules,” Shakiru said.

READ ALSO  COVID-19: NCDC Records 8 More Deaths, 631 New Cases In 19 States, Fct

“How can that much engine oil be stored in a residential environment? Those engaged in the petrochemical business, are they licensed? Do they know the standard safety rules and regulations that should be adhered to when engaging in such a business? Do they have the right skills and information needed to store such substances? These are what I mean by negligence.”

He said the cause of about 70% of fire outbreaks are due to negligence and carelessness. “In other words, we need to be smart, shut down all electrical appliances when they are not in use and disconnect them from the wall sockets to avoid unexpected power surge,” Shakiru said.

+ posts
READ ALSO  Senators Differ On Naira Note Redesign