Ebola: Ivory Coast Announces First Case After 25 Years

August 15, 2021
ebola
ebola

IVORY Coast has declared its first case of Ebola virus in 25 years.

Health Minister Pierre Dimba said on national television that it was an isolated case of an 18-year-old girl who travelled from neighbouring Guinea.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

The World Health Organisation said in a statement that Ivory Coast confirmed the country’s first case of Ebola since 1994.

“This came after the Institut Pasteur in Ivory Coast confirmed the Ebola Virus Disease in samples collected from a patient, who was hospitalized in the commercial capital of Abidjan, after arriving from Guinea,” WHO said in the statement.

WHO said initial investigations found the patient had travelled to Ivory Coast by road and arrived in Abidjan on August 12.

“The patient was admitted to a hospital after experiencing a fever and is currently receiving treatment,” WHO said.

Guinea – site of the 2014-2016 Ebola outbreak, the deadliest on record – experienced a four-month Ebola outbreak earlier this year that was declared over on June 19.

The country early this week also confirmed a first case of Marburg virus in West Africa.

Marburg virus disease is a highly infectious haemorrhagic fever similar to Ebola.

Transmission of both deadly diseases occurs through contact with infected bodily fluids and tissue, while symptoms include headache, vomiting blood, muscle pains and bleeding.

+ posts

Featured Stories

Latest from News

Ford Foundation President Concludes First Official Visit to Nigeria

The President of the Ford Foundation, Heather Gerken, has concluded her first official visit to Nigeria, reaffirming the foundation’s 65-year partnership with the country and its commitment to advancing democracy, human rights and social justice across West Africa. During her visit, Gerken

Kenya to Begin Administering HIV Prevention Drug

Kenya will begin rolling out a new HIV-prevention drug in March, in what health officials have described as a major step forward in the fight against the virus. The drug, lenacapavir, is taken just twice a year and has been shown in
2023 Elections: Governors, Candidates Who Won, Lost At Supreme Court

Ebonyi Governor Eases Curfew After Deadly Attack

The governor of Ebonyi State, Francis Nwifuru, has relaxed a curfew in Amasiri, in Afikpo Local Government Area, following a deadly attack in a neighbouring community. The new curfew now runs from 6pm to 7am, replacing the earlier restriction that kept residents
AfDB
Previous Story

Infrastructure Deficit Hinders Industrialisation In Africa – AfDB

Plateau 1
Next Story

22 Commuters Killed, 12 Suspects Arrested In Plateau Road Attack

Don't Miss

Barcelona Set To Sign €4 million Araujo From LA Galaxy Until 2026

Barcelona are on the cusp of signing of Mexican right

Fabien Bortoluzzi appointed of Managing Director, Thales Western & Central Africa

PARIS, France, 26 September 2023 -/African Media Agency(AMA)/- Thales announces the