Sit-at-home Ban In Enugu: Group Mocks Gov Mbah As Attacks Persist

June 28, 2023
2023 Elections: Governors, Candidates Who Won, Lost At Supreme Court
Peter mbah

The current spike in attacks by persons believed to be members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) in Enugu since the state governor, Peter Mbah, announced an end to the Sit-at-home order three weeks ago has been attributed to the lack of preparedness for leadership by the new helmsman.

According to a civil society organisation based in Enugu, the Oriental Lawyers for Justice (OLJ), the worsened security problem has seen at least eight kidnappings in the capital in the last two weeks plus the attack on the New Haven station of the Pinnacle Oil and Gas Company owned by the governor in the early hours of Wednesday last week “show that, contrary to the assertions of those who packaged him for the recent election which he nevertheless lost, Mbah is just another politician and wheeler-dealer rather than a clear-headed leader with a focus on how to get our dear state cracking in the right direction.”

Join our WhatsApp Channel

READ ALSO: Sit-at-home: Enugu Stakeholders Fault Gov Mbah’s Approach

Commercial drivers protested in their hundreds on Tuesday (yesterday) against the new spate of kidnappings on the Enugu-Nsukka Road, as three kidnap incidents were recorded on Thursday, last week, alone.

In a statement signed by JohnBosco Aninwede, its president, and Mrs Ifeoma Ejike, the secretary, OLJ said: “If he had prepared himself for high office, he would have learned from the experience of Governor Chukwuma Soludo of neighbouring Anambra State who in his inaugural speech in March 2022, announced a war against so-called freedom fighters in the bush, only to face an unprecedented rise in attacks by IPOB members throughout the state, especially in his Isuofia hometown and Aguata Local Government Area whose headquarters was bombed.”

“There is no doubt that IPOB has been responsible for the attack on Mbah’s private petroleum firm, as the perpetrators came in a large number of tricycles and armed with rifles, charms, and the notorious red headband worn by the Eastern Security Network (ESN), IPOB’s military wing. “And everyone knows that Pinnacle is targeted because of Mbah’s moves against IPOB,” claimed OLJ.

The group said that Simeon Ekpa, a top IPOB leader based in Finland, has openly mocked Mbah for lack of legitimacy because he didn’t win the Enugu governorship election.

The lawyers argued that no serious leader would announce the cancellation of the sit-at-home order which is enforced with savagery throughout the Southeast every Monday without providing enough security forces on the ground and without constituting his cabinet because tackling profound insecurity is not a one-man show.

“By the time he announced an end to the order by the nonstate actors, the new governor had appointed only the Secretary to the State Government, Professor Chidiebere Onyia, and no other person into his administration,” noted the Oriental Lawyers for Justice.

“It was after he had begun to implement the order which failed spectacularly on the first Monday that it occurred to him to consult stakeholders in the state like traders, transporters, religious leaders, traditional rulers, students, town union officers, and the rest to brief them on his plans,” the group added.

They added that Mbah was marketed beyond his knowledge and skills by his handlers who “tried to mesmerise our people with his personal wealth and his manifesto promise to increase Enugu’s economy from $4bn to $30bn within four years, even though he has never supplied information on how he plans to achieve this feat”.

The lawyers observed that though they are against IPOB for its streak of violence and such illegal acts as the curfew it imposes on the Southeast weekly, “Mbah has gone about cutting down the secessionist group to size the wrong way because of his poor poor skills as a public leader.

“If he had genuinely won the March 18 gubernatorial election, he would have acted more rationally, and not in this knee-jerk manner meant to get accepted by the Enugu people who rejected him and his Peoples Democratic Party resoundingly in the 2023 general elections.”

PBA Reporter
+ posts

Featured Stories

Latest from News

El Rufai

EFCC Detains El-Rufai Over Corruption Allegations

Former Kaduna State Governor and African Democratic Congress (ADC) chieftain, Mallam Nasiru El-Rufai, has been detained by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in Abuja, amid ongoing investigations into alleged financial mismanagement during his eight-year tenure from 2015 to 2023. Highly placed
Why President Tinubu Rejected Me As Ministerial Nominee – El-Rufai

DSS Links El-Rufai to Disappearance of Critic ‘Dadiyata’

Department of State Services (DSS) has reopened its investigation into the 2019 disappearance of Abubakar Idris, known as Dadiyata, a prominent government critic who vanished from his Kaduna home on 1 August 2019. According to a senior security source, the renewed probe

14 Kebbi Wedding Guests Die in Boat Accident

The Kebbi State government has expressed profound sorrow after a boat accident in Yauri Local Government Area claimed 14 lives, mostly women, following a wedding celebration. Governor Nasir Idris offered condolences to the bereaved families, the Yauri Emirate, and local residents, describing
Criminalising Refusal To Sing Anthem Not Our Priority – Lawyer

Lawmakers, Protesters Lock Horns as Electoral Reform Battle Intensifies

Tension gripped the House of Representatives on Tuesday as lawmakers clashed over the Electoral Act (Repeal and Re-enactment) Bill, 2026, amid mounting protests and growing public scrutiny over provisions relating to electronic transmission of election results, Prime Business Africa reports. A crucial
Conditions To Obtain Nigeria’s Brown Card For Permanent Residency
Previous Story

Conditions To Obtain Nigeria’s Brown Card For Permanent Residency

Next Story

Football Transfer News: Arsenal Confirms Signing Of £65m Havertz From Chelsea 

Don't Miss

industrial court

Newly Appointed Osun Monarch, 4 LG Officials, To Face Prosecution Over Alleged Forgery

RECENTLY appointed Alawo of Awo, Prince Taiwo Abdulrasaq Adegboye and
 Elumelu Confident In Naira Regaining Stability Amid CBN Leadership Change

We Should All Be Africapitalists – Elumelu

Renowned entrepreneur and philanthropist Tony Elumelu took to his social