Death Toll In Zamfara Attack Rises To 200

January 9, 2022

An estimated 200 people or more have been killed in villages in Zamfara state, during deadly reprisal attacks by armed bandits following military air strikes on their hideouts this week, residents said on Saturday.

Residents gained access to the villages on Saturday after the military captured the communities to organise mass burials. The state government said 58 people had been killed during the attacks.

Ummaru Makeri, a resident who lost his wife and three children during the attack, said around 154 persons had been buried including several vigilantes who were killed. Residents said the total death toll was at least 200.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

READ ALSO: 2023: Nigerians React To Declaration Of Bandits As Terrorists

On Friday, at least 30 people were killed in Anka local government area in Zamfara. More than 300 armed bandits on motorbikes had stormed eight villages and started shooting sporadically on Tuesday.

The military said it had conducted air strikes in the early hours of Monday on targets in the Gusami forest and west Tsamre village in Zamfara state, killing more than 100 bandits including two of their leaders, following intelligence reports.

One resident who declined to be identified told Reuters the attacks on the villages could be linked to the military strikes.

There have been a series of attacks in northwest Nigeria, which has seen a sharp rise in mass abductions and other violent crimes since late 2020 as the government struggles to maintain law and order.

President Muhammadu Buhari said in a statement on Saturday that the military had acquired more equipment to track down and eliminate criminal gangs that have been subjecting people to a reign of terror, including through the illegal imposition of taxes on communities under siege.

“The latest attacks on innocent people by the bandits is an act of desperation by mass murderers, now under relentless pressure from our military forces,” Buhari said.

Buhari added that the government would not relent in its military operations to get rid of the bandits.

+ posts
12 Items Vehicles Must Have For Road Safety
Previous Story

FRSC Admonishes Vehicle Passengers To Imbibe ‘Collective Driving’ Culture

Next Story

Africa’s 2022 World Cup Playoffs Draw To Hold January 22 In Douala, Cameroon 

Featured Stories

Latest from News

Criminalising Refusal To Sing Anthem Not Our Priority – Lawyer

National Assembly Approves N1.5tn Budget for Army

The National Assembly has approved a budget of N1.50 trillion for the Nigerian Army for the 2026 fiscal year, pledging legislative support to ensure funds are released promptly for operational use. The Nigerian Army’s budget for 2026 has been increased by around

Senator Natasha Protests Exclusion from Key Senate Committee

Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, representing Kogi Central, has raised concerns over what she describes as a sustained pattern of marginalisation within the Senate, following her alleged exclusion from the Senate Committee on the North Central Development Commission (NCDC). The senator’s complaint comes amid
12 Items Vehicles Must Have For Road Safety
Previous Story

FRSC Admonishes Vehicle Passengers To Imbibe ‘Collective Driving’ Culture

Next Story

Africa’s 2022 World Cup Playoffs Draw To Hold January 22 In Douala, Cameroon 

Don't Miss

Africa: Many To Face Displacement By 2050

Africa: Many To Face Displacement By 2050

Residents of countries in Africa and other continents are projected
P Luton Liverpool x

Liverpool Forward Diaz Begs Kidnappers For Father’s Release 

Liverpool forward Luis Diaz on Sunday evening passionately pleaded with