NLC Rejects Federal Government’s ₦3 Trillion Power Sector Bailout

February 20, 2026
Ajaero’s Arrest By DSS ‘A Brazen Act Of Lawlessness, Intimidation’ – NLC
Joe Ajaero NLC President

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has opposed plans by the federal government to grant a ₦3 trillion bailout to privately owned electricity generation companies, arguing that the move will not resolve the country’s power supply challenges.

In a statement signed by its president, Joe Ajaero, the labour group insisted that the state must remain the primary driver of the power sector. It described the proposed bailout as economically unwise and contradictory.

The NLC highlighted that the entire power sector had been sold for around ₦400 billion, yet the government is now considering providing ₦3 trillion to the same generation companies, which, according to the union, “have failed to generate additional megawatts beyond pre-privatisation capacity.”

Join our WhatsApp Channel

The labour movement also criticised the Association of Power Generation Companies (APGC), accusing it of promoting a self-serving narrative and misrepresenting the demands of organised labour.

“Electricity is a social service, not a commodity to be auctioned to the highest bidder,” the NLC said. “We reject the failed privatisation model, the impudent demand for ₦6 trillion, and this proposed ₦3 trillion bailout. The Nigerian people cannot and will not continue to pay for darkness.”

The union further accused the operators of colluding with those who executed the privatisation to shortchange Nigerians through an opaque process. Responding to the APGC’s press statement on 17 February 2026, which criticised NLC’s competence, the labour group said the association was attempting to justify “a brazen move to loot the public treasury.”

READ ALSO:

NLC Urges FCT Workers to Defy Wike, Continue Strike

Rights Group Slams NUPENG, PENGASSAN, NLC Over Dangote Refinery Dispute, Labels Them ‘Forces of Retrogression’

NLC Slams Senate Over Natasha’s Suspension, Threatens Nationwide Action

“First, let us state unequivocally: the NLC stands by every word of our initial statement. The privatisation of the power sector was, and remains, a grand deception and a well-orchestrated robbery of the Nigerian people,” the statement read.

The union added that the APGC’s complaints about “victimisation” cannot conceal the failure of the sector since privatisation, questioning why generation companies that purchased assets for ₦400 billion are now demanding ₦6 trillion.

+ posts

Prosper Okoye is a Correspondent and Research Writer at Prime Business Africa, a Nigerian journalist with experience in development reporting, public affairs, and policy-focused storytelling across Africa

Prosper Okoye

Prosper Okoye is a Correspondent and Research Writer at Prime Business Africa, a Nigerian journalist with experience in development reporting, public affairs, and policy-focused storytelling across Africa

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Previous Story

Over 1.58 Million Voter Cards Collected Ahead of FCT Council Elections

Why President Tinubu Rejected Me As Ministerial Nominee – El-Rufai
Next Story

DSS Files Cybercrime Charges Against El-Rufai, Arraignment Fixed for Feb 25

Featured Stories

Latest from Labour

Nigeria-Germany Talks Raise Hopes for Power, Jobs, Security Gains

Millions of Nigerians struggling with unreliable electricity and limited job opportunities could see some relief after fresh talks between President Bola Tinubu and Germany’s Chancellor Friedrich Merz. In a brief phone call on Wednesday, the two leaders discussed closer cooperation on power,

Nigeria Signs ASUU Deal That Could End University Strikes

Nigeria’s Federal Government and the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) have signed a new agreement aimed at improving the quality of tertiary education and preventing repeated industrial actions. The pact, unveiled on Wednesday at the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund) Conference

Musk Predicts AI Future Where Salaries, Money Lose Relevance

Elon Musk has warned that money and salaries could become irrelevant in the future as artificial intelligence and robotics advance to the point where human labour is no longer necessary. The world’s richest man said a future dominated by AI could eliminate
Previous Story

Over 1.58 Million Voter Cards Collected Ahead of FCT Council Elections

Why President Tinubu Rejected Me As Ministerial Nominee – El-Rufai
Next Story

DSS Files Cybercrime Charges Against El-Rufai, Arraignment Fixed for Feb 25

Don't Miss

rangers enyimba match abandoned as fans invade pitch

NPFL Awaits Report On Rangers Against Enyimba Troubled Derby

On a good day a match between Enyimba of
X Users Believe Social Media Has Positive Impact On Professional Journalism

X Users Believe Social Media Has Positive Impact On Professional Journalism – Survey

Amid technological revolution in communication with its disruptive tendencies, the