18 Senegalese Fans Jailed After AFCON Final Disturbances in Morocco

February 19, 2026

A Moroccan court has sentenced 18 Senegalese football fans to prison terms ranging from three to 12 months over violent behaviour during the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) final. The group had been held in pre-trial detention since January 18, the day Senegal beat hosts Morocco 1-0 after extra time in a tense and controversial match at the Prince Moulay Abdellah Stadium in Rabat.

Controversy on the Pitch

The AFCON final was marred by disputes over key refereeing decisions. A Senegalese goal in stoppage time was disallowed for a foul on Morocco’s Achraf Hakimi, while a penalty awarded to Morocco sparked protests from Senegal’s players, who briefly walked off the field. During the pause, Senegal goalkeeper Édouard Mendy saved the penalty, and Senegal went on to score in extra time, claiming their second AFCON title.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino condemned the walk-off, calling the scenes “unacceptable,” while Moroccan coach Walid Regragui described the events as “shameful.” Senegal captain Sadio Mané helped calm his teammates and urged them to return to play.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

Fan Violence and Arrests

While the on-pitch protests unfolded, some Senegalese supporters reacted violently in the stands. Reports said fans attempted to storm the pitch, clashed with security, and threw chairs and other objects onto the field. One steward was injured during the disturbances.

Moroccan authorities arrested 18 Senegalese fans for hooliganism, pitch invasion, assault, and damage to stadium property. They were held in pre-trial detention in Rabat. Their lawyer, Patrick Kabou, raised concerns about language barriers during questioning and alleged lack of clarity over the charges.

Court Sentencing

On Thursday, February 19, a Moroccan court handed down sentences ranging from three to 12 months for the fans. The decision followed more than a month in detention and a hunger strike by the accused, who protested their treatment and the repeated delays in their trial. Moroccan authorities said the ruling was necessary to maintain law and order at major events, although some Senegalese media and supporters argued that the punishments were too harsh given the context of the match and procedural concerns.

READ ALSO:

CAF Sanctions Senegal, Morocco Over Chaotic AFCON 2025 Final

Oranto Petroleum Rejects Senegal Government’s Claims on Offshore Licences

AFCON FINAL: How Referee Chaos, Officiating Outrage Tainted Senegal’s Win

Reactions and Wider Impact

Senegalese officials and fans expressed outrage over the arrests, highlighting procedural and human rights concerns. Morocco and the Confederation of African Football (CAF) stressed the need for stadium security and measures to prevent fan violence. The match had already drawn criticism for refereeing decisions and on-field protests, including bans and fines for players and federations.

The incident has also sparked debate across Africa about refereeing standards, the use of VAR, stadium security, and the treatment of travelling fans. As Morocco prepares for future major tournaments, including co-hosting the 2030 World Cup, the AFCON final serves as a warning of the risks when high-stakes football leads to crowd unrest.

For now, the jailed fans remain in Morocco, serving sentences that could be adjusted by good behaviour or future appeals. The controversial final remains a bitter memory for both supporters and organisers alike.

+ posts

Prosper Okoye is a Correspondent and Research Writer at Prime Business Africa, a Nigerian journalist with experience in development reporting, public affairs, and policy-focused storytelling across Africa

Prosper Okoye

Prosper Okoye is a Correspondent and Research Writer at Prime Business Africa, a Nigerian journalist with experience in development reporting, public affairs, and policy-focused storytelling across Africa

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Previous Story

Unity–Providus Merger: Customers May Face Short-Term Disruptions

Featured Stories

Latest from News

Unity–Providus Merger: Customers May Face Short-Term Disruptions

The proposed merger between Unity Bank Plc and Providus Bank Limited has entered its final stage, with integration activities underway following regulatory approval and shareholder backing. For customers, the main concern is likely to be short-term disruption as the two banks combine

Mugabe’s Son Arrested in South Africa Over Alleged Shooting

Bellarmine Chatunga, the son of former Zimbabwean leader Robert Mugabe, has been arrested in South Africa following an alleged shooting at his residence in Johannesburg. Police say the incident took place at his home in the upmarket Hyde Park suburb, where an

Nigeria-Germany Talks Raise Hopes for Power, Jobs, Security Gains

Millions of Nigerians struggling with unreliable electricity and limited job opportunities could see some relief after fresh talks between President Bola Tinubu and Germany’s Chancellor Friedrich Merz. In a brief phone call on Wednesday, the two leaders discussed closer cooperation on power,

EU Funding Boosts Nigeria’s Internet Expansion Plans

Faster and more reliable internet could soon reach millions of Nigerians after the European Union pledged €22m to support the country’s fibre-optic expansion. The funding, announced in Abuja, is part of the government’s Project BRIDGE initiative, which aims to extend broadband access

Rivers Senator Mpigi Dies at 64

Senator Barinada Mpigi, who represented Rivers South-East in the 10th National Assembly, has died at the age of 64 after a brief illness. His death was confirmed on Thursday, 19 February 2026. Mpigi, who had spent more than a decade in Nigeria’s
Previous Story

Unity–Providus Merger: Customers May Face Short-Term Disruptions

Don't Miss

Mozambican Fails To Break Jesus’ 40-Day Record, Dies Trying

Mozambican Pastor Fails To Break Jesus’ 40-Day Fasting Record, Dies Trying

A Mozambican Pastor, Francisco Barajah has died during his 40-day

Central Bank Governors In Politics: Good Or Not-so-good? 

Central Bank of Nigeria Governor Godwin Emefiele on Friday finally