Epstein files: How New Disclosures Are Shaking Washington

February 17, 2026

Former US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has accused the administration of Donald Trump of a “cover-up” over its handling of files linked to the late financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, as a fresh wave of disclosures continues to unsettle some of America’s most powerful institutions.

Speaking at the annual World Forum, Mrs Clinton said the White House was “slow-walking” the release of documents related to Epstein and urged the government to make the full set of records public.

“Get the files out,” she said. “They are slow-walking it.”

Join our WhatsApp Channel

The White House rejected the accusation, saying it had already released thousands of pages and complied with congressional requests. A spokesperson said the Trump administration had “done more for the victims than Democrats ever have”.

The US Department of Justice said it had fulfilled the requirements of the Epstein Files Transparency Act, passed by Congress earlier this month. But some lawmakers remain unconvinced. Republican congressman Thomas Massie has called for additional internal Justice Department memoranda explaining past charging decisions to be made public.

Epstein was found dead in a New York jail in August 2019 while awaiting trial on federal sex-trafficking charges. More than a decade earlier, he had pleaded guilty to soliciting prostitution from a minor.

Mrs Clinton was also asked whether Prince Andrew should testify before the US Congress. She said anyone invited should appear, adding that being named in the files did not in itself indicate wrongdoing. Prince Andrew has repeatedly denied any misconduct.

Both Mrs Clinton and her husband, former president Bill Clinton, are due to testify before the House Oversight Committee later this month after a planned contempt vote was shelved. Neither has been accused of wrongdoing by Epstein’s victims, and both say they were unaware of his crimes at the time.

Mr Trump, responding to Mrs Clinton’s remarks said he had “nothing to hide”, saying he cut ties with Epstein decades ago and had been cleared of any involvement.

Business Fallout

The political debate has been mirrored by growing upheaval in the corporate world. Billionaire businessman Thomas Pritzker has resigned as chairman of Hyatt Hotels Corporation after newly released Justice Department files revealed he maintained contact with Epstein long after the financier’s 2008 conviction.

Mr Pritzker, who had served as executive chairman since 2004, said he had exercised “terrible judgement” in continuing to communicate with Epstein after that plea deal. The documents show the two remained in regular contact for years afterwards.

In a statement, Mr Pritzker said he would not seek re-election following discussions with fellow board members, saying the move was necessary to protect Hyatt’s reputation and ensure a smooth leadership transition.

“I deeply regret my association with Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell,” he said. Maxwell was convicted in 2021 for helping Epstein recruit and abuse underage girls.

Hyatt’s board has appointed its president and chief executive, Mark Hoplamazian, as the new chairman. He said Mr Pritzker’s decision reflected his long-standing commitment to the company.

READ ALSO:

Trump Declares National Emergency Over Cuba, Threatens Tariffs on Oil-Supplying Nations

Sex Offenders R. Kelly, Ghislaine Maxwell Sentenced To Jail Within 24 Hours

Dilemma of Verification in Age of Fake News: The Purported Obiano’s Death

The Epstein files have also claimed other high-profile casualties. Earlier this month, Kathy Ruemmler, chief legal officer of Goldman Sachs, announced she was stepping down after emails showed a close relationship with Epstein. She has denied any knowledge of his criminal behaviour.

Meanwhile, Brad Karp, chairman of the law firm Paul Weiss, also resigned after reports he had discussed Epstein’s 2008 conviction with him. The firm said Mr Karp had never witnessed or taken part in any misconduct.

As more documents emerge, the Epstein case continues to cast a long shadow across American public life — raising questions not only about past failures of justice, but about how power and accountability are being tested once again.

+ posts

Prosper Okoye is a Correspondent and Research Writer at Prime Business Africa, a Nigerian journalist with experience in development reporting, public affairs, and policy-focused storytelling across Africa

Prosper Okoye

Prosper Okoye is a Correspondent and Research Writer at Prime Business Africa, a Nigerian journalist with experience in development reporting, public affairs, and policy-focused storytelling across Africa

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Previous Story

FX Losses, Rising Expenses Weigh on Guinea Insurance As Profit Plunges By 66%

Next Story

Zenith Bank, Skyway Aviation Drag Down NGX Market Cap By N577.40bn

Featured Stories

Latest from FEATURES

Zimbabwe Faces Fresh Turmoil over Mnangagwa Term-Extension Plan

Zimbabwe has entered a tense new political phase after President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s cabinet approved draft constitutional changes that could allow him to remain in power beyond the limits set by the country’s 2013 constitution. The proposals, now awaiting publication before being sent

Ogun at 50: Where Culture, Faith, Development Converge

Ogun State marked its 50th anniversary in a grand blend of culture, reflection and development, as weeks of carefully curated activities culminated in a colourful street carnival that transformed Abeokuta into a living showcase of heritage, unity and shared progress. The OGUN
Previous Story

FX Losses, Rising Expenses Weigh on Guinea Insurance As Profit Plunges By 66%

Next Story

Zenith Bank, Skyway Aviation Drag Down NGX Market Cap By N577.40bn

Don't Miss

IITA DG Advocates Local Production Of Foods In Nigeria To Reduce Growth Of Unemployment

Director-General of International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Dr. Nteranya Sanginga,
The Nigeria Ports Authority (NPA), the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) and three other agencies have been accused of illegal auction of Federal Government properties. 

Reps Call For Education Budget Review

HOUSE of Representatives has joined voices with groups and individuals