Suspected Meningitis Outbreak Kills 38 In Jigawa

Suspected Meningitis Outbreak Kills 38 In Jigawa

Thirty eight persons have died of suspected Cerebrospinal Meningitis (CSM), in Jigawa State.

Permanent Secretary in the state’s Ministry of Health, Dr Salisu Muazu, who disclosed this to newsmen in Dutse, stated that the state recorded a total of 398 suspected cases between October 2022 to date.

Muazu added that the disease was detected in 56 political wards across seven local government areas of the state that border the Niger Republic.

He said the outbreak was initially from the neighbouring Niger Republic and later spread to the border communities in the state, through trans-border activities.

He further listed the affected areas including Babura, Maigatari, Suletankarkar, Birniwa, Gumel, Gwiwa and Yankwashi.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

He said: “This is even though last year, we conducted immunisation against this disease across the state.

“But after getting the report of the outbreak, we took the samples for testing in the laboratory, and we discovered it was a strange disease.

“It is not a normal CSM disease that we commonly know which is type A, this one, we discovered that it is bacteria, known as type B.

“And immediately after results were obtained, the state government, through the ministry swung into action, by offering free treatment, control and prevention measures in the affected areas.”

Muazu explained that the ministry had established an isolation centre at Gumel General Hospital, to which affected persons were being referred for proper treatment and observation.

He maintained that the situation had been brought under control, as fewer cases are now being recorded.

“As of now, we record only one to two cases per day. Some days passed without recording a single case, as the last was recorded on Saturday,” he said.

Peter Okoye, PBA Journalism Mentee
+ posts
Naira Crisis: Banks Will Remain Open So Long It’s Safe To Do So – CIBN
Previous Story

Naira Crisis: Banks Will Remain Open So Long As It’s Safe To Do So – CIBN

Next Story

Former Chelsea Star, Atsu, Found Dead In Turkey Home

Featured Stories

Latest from News

Ford Foundation President Concludes First Official Visit to Nigeria

The President of the Ford Foundation, Heather Gerken, has concluded her first official visit to Nigeria, reaffirming the foundation’s 65-year partnership with the country and its commitment to advancing democracy, human rights and social justice across West Africa. During her visit, Gerken

Kenya to Begin Administering HIV Prevention Drug

Kenya will begin rolling out a new HIV-prevention drug in March, in what health officials have described as a major step forward in the fight against the virus. The drug, lenacapavir, is taken just twice a year and has been shown in
2023 Elections: Governors, Candidates Who Won, Lost At Supreme Court

Ebonyi Governor Eases Curfew After Deadly Attack

The governor of Ebonyi State, Francis Nwifuru, has relaxed a curfew in Amasiri, in Afikpo Local Government Area, following a deadly attack in a neighbouring community. The new curfew now runs from 6pm to 7am, replacing the earlier restriction that kept residents
Naira Crisis: Banks Will Remain Open So Long It’s Safe To Do So – CIBN
Previous Story

Naira Crisis: Banks Will Remain Open So Long As It’s Safe To Do So – CIBN

Next Story

Former Chelsea Star, Atsu, Found Dead In Turkey Home

Don't Miss

The equity market closed in positive territory for the second time this week as stocks rose by 0.04%. Investors traded N15.07bn worth of shares.

NGX Records 37.65% Growth, Ends 2024 On High Note

The Nigerian Exchange Limited (NGX) closed 2024 with an impressive
Drama As Sweden's PM Messages Wrong Liz Truss On Twitter

Drama As Sweden’s PM Messages Wrong Liz Truss On Twitter

A viral report has it that a woman called