Ceasefire Possible In Russia-Ukraine Conflict After Peace Talks In Saudi Arabia

March 12, 2025

A one-month ceasefire in the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict is now looking possible after Ukrainian officials agreed to terms during peace talks with the United States in Saudi Arabia on Tuesday.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced the development, stating that he would present the offer to Russian officials and hoped they would accept it.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

“Today we made an offer that the Ukrainians have accepted, which is to enter into a ceasefire and immediate negotiations,” Rubio told reporters.

“We’ll take this offer now to the Russians, and we hope they’ll say yes to peace. The ball is now in their court.”

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy confirmed the agreement on Telegram, emphasizing that the proposed ceasefire would last for 30 days and cover all aspects of the conflict, including missile and drone attacks, naval confrontations in the Black Sea, and frontline battles.

Russia has yet to respond to the offer but has not ruled out further discussions with U.S. officials.

This comes despite ongoing tensions, including recent Ukrainian drone attacks that reportedly caused casualties in Russia while negotiations were taking place in Saudi Arabia between US and Ukraine delegations.

If accepted, this will be the first ceasefire agreement between both countries since the start of the conflict in February 2022.

As part of the peace discussions, the US also announced that it would resume intelligence sharing and security assistance to Ukraine, which had been suspended following an altercation between Zelenskyy and former U.S. President Donald Trump during a White House meeting.

“Both delegations agreed to name their negotiating teams and immediately begin discussions toward an enduring peace that ensures Ukraine’s long-term security,” a joint U.S.-Ukraine statement said.

READ ALSO: Russia-Ukraine War: We’re Ready For Talks With Trump – Putin

The White House meeting in question was initially meant to finalize a deal granting the US access to some of Ukraine’s mineral resources. However, the discussion ended abruptly when Zelenskyy warned that Russia’s aggression could soon reach the United States if left unchecked. Trump responded by accusing Zelenskyy of risking a global conflict, saying, “You’re gambling with World War III.”

Despite previous tensions, the joint statement confirmed that the mineral deal was back on the table. Both nations pledged to “conclude as soon as possible a comprehensive agreement for developing Ukraine’s critical mineral resources to expand its economy and ensure its long-term prosperity and security.”

Trump welcomed the progress of the talks and signaled on Tuesday that a meeting with Russia officials will be held soonest and the ceasefire would be discussed.

In a separate statement, Zelenskyy urged Russia to accept the ceasefire, calling on Moscow to “show its willingness to stop the war or continue the war.”

The coming days will determine whether Russia agrees to the terms, potentially marking a significant step toward ending the conflict.

+ posts

Featured Stories

Latest from World News

Starmer Eyes Billions in Extra Defence Spending

Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer is reportedly exploring plans to accelerate the UK’s defence spending, potentially committing billions of pounds more than previously planned. Downing Street sources say the proposals aim to meet an existing target of 3% of gross domestic product

Five Injured After Swiss Train Derails 

Five people have been injured after a regional train derailed in southern Switzerland, with police saying an avalanche may have crossed the tracks moments before the train passed. The accident happened early on Monday near the village of Goppenstein, as the area
Previous Story

Rivers Crisis: Inviting Pro-wike Lawmakers Shows Fubara Is A True Democrat – HURIWA

Next Story

Medical Milestone: Australian Man Becomes First To Survive With Artificial Heart Implant

Don't Miss

Ogun State NUJ Chairman Is Dead

CHAIRMAN, Ogun State Chapter of the Nigerian Union of
How Nigeria’s External Reserves Rose By 5.6% To $38.8bn In 2024 — CBN

Adopt Official FX Rate For Import Duty Assessment, CBN Tells Nigeria Customs

Following concerns raised by importers about irregular changes in import