Buhari Approves $8.5 Million To Evacuate Stranded Nigerians In Ukraine

March 2, 2022
Buhari
Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday approved $8.5 million dollars to the ministries of Foreign Affairs and Humanitarian, Disaster Management, and Social Development, for the immediate evacuation of over 5,000 (registered and unregistered) Nigerians stranded in Ukraine.

These Nigerians who became stranded are now ready evacuation due to he ongoing war between Russia and Ukraine.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

This was contained in a tweet post by Personal Assistant to the President on Digital and New Media, Bashir Ahmad, on his official Twitter account, this was made known by the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Zubairu Dada, on Wednesday in Abuja.

 Dada, while speaking to State House correspondents after the weekly Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting, presided over by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, said that 3 aircrafts to be provided by Air Peace and Max Air, would be dispatched to 4 countries.

The minister explained that the countries where the pickup flights would be headed include – Poland, Hungary, Slovakia, and Romania.

Two flights from Air Peace and one from Max Air are expected to carry out the evacuation exercise.

Dada noted that all agencies are fully resourced to ensure that aircraft leave on Wednesday to begin the evacuation. They noted that the flights will embark on a number of shifts until the process is complete.

The federal government had earlier announced its readiness to begin evacuation of about 2,000 Nigerians who have fled the war in Ukraine to neighbouring countries from Wednesday.

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, made this known in an interview on a Channels Television’s ‘Politics Today’ programme.

Onyeama explained that President Muhammadu Buhari had approved funds for the airlines to evacuate Nigerians.

+ posts

Featured Stories

Latest from Business

MTN Shareholders, Karl Toriola Lose N581.57bn Within Three Days

FG to Review MTN Group’s Acquisition of IHS Towers Over Sector Impact

The Federal Government has said it will undertake a comprehensive assessment of the reported acquisition of IHS Towers by MTN Group, citing the strategic importance of telecommunications infrastructure to Nigeria’s national security, economic stability and digital growth, Prime Business Africa reports. In

Zenith Bank, Skyway Aviation Drag Down NGX Market Cap By N577.40bn

The market capitalisation of the Nigerian Exchange (NGX), also known as the stock market, decreased to N121.55 trillion on Tuesday, February 17, from the N122.12 trillion recorded on Monday, February 16. This represents a decline of N577.40 billion in the market capitalisation,

Soludo Seals Shops for Two Weeks over Monday Sit-at-Home

The Anambra State Government has sealed dozens of shops at two major markets in Idemili North council area after traders failed to open for business on Monday, despite a directive to resume trading. The affected markets are the Building Materials Market in
Previous Story

Zoning: Southeast APC Leaders Move Against Nnamani

Next Story

US Consulate Marks 75th Anniversary of Fulbright Programme

Don't Miss

Buhari

Buhari Charges Senate To Approve N2.55trn For Petrol Subsidy Payments

President Muhammadu Buhari has demanded an additional provision of N2.557

Onumonu Dazzles With Brace As Super Falcons Defeat Lady Elephants In AWCON 2022 Qualifier

Nigeria's Super Falcons on Friday evening defeated Cote d’Ivoire's Lady