World Heavyweight Bout: Anthony Joshua Set To Fight Whyte’s Replacement, Helenius At O2 Arena 

August 8, 2023

Anglo-Nigerian former heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua will face Robert Helenius after his fight against British boxer Dylian Whyte was cancelled.

Joshua was due to face Whyte on August 12 at the 02 Arena, but the fight was called off after Whyte tested positive for a banned substance.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

Helenius boxed last weekend, beating Mika Mielonen by stoppage on Saturday, and will step in at short notice to take on former unified champion Joshua.

The Voluntary Anti-Doping Association said it had informed the Association of Boxing Commissions and the British Boxing Board of Control that a “random anti-doping protocol” undertaken by Whyte had returned the adverse findings.

“This wasn’t in the script,” Joshua noted following the announcement of his eventual opponent.

“I respect Helenius and may I say, I respect any male or female who steps into the ring. I am laser focused on the win. I can make steps forward to bigger and better things but the road map has a check point, Saturday night. May the best man win.”

The 39-year-old Finn was knocked out by Deontay Wilder in one round last year, though prior to that he had secured respectable back-to-back wins over Adam Kownacki. He has a 32-4 (21) record and three of his defeats have come inside the distance.

“I am excited about fighting Anthony Joshua on August 12,” Helenius said.

“I am a true Viking that is willing to face any challenge at a moment’s notice. This is not an opportunity I was going to let slip away. I plan to make the most of it.”

Although Whyte will not be boxing, he is protesting his innocence. He wrote: “I am shocked and devastated to learn of a report by VADA of adverse findings relating to me.

“The fight is being cancelled without having any chance to demonstrate my innocence before the decision was taken.

“I can confirm without a shadow of doubt that I have not taken the reported substance, in this camp or at any point in my life.

“I am completely innocent and ask to be given the time to go through the process of proving this without anybody jumping to conclusions or a trial by media.

izu
+ posts

Izuchukwu Okosi is a Nigerian sports and entertainment journalist with two decades of experience in the media industry having begun his media journey in 2002 as an intern at Mundial Sports International (MSI) and Africa Independent Television (AIT), owners of Daar Communications Plc.

Izuchukwu Okosi

Izuchukwu Okosi is a Nigerian sports and entertainment journalist with two decades of experience in the media industry having begun his media journey in 2002 as an intern at Mundial Sports International (MSI) and Africa Independent Television (AIT), owners of Daar Communications Plc.

Pastor Taiwo Odukoya, Founder Of Fountain of Life Church
Previous Story

Remembering Pastor Taiwo Odukoya:10 Key Aspects Of His Life And Legacy

Tory Lanez Sentenced To 10 Years
Next Story

Tory Lanez Sentenced To 10 Years : A Deeper Look Into The Verdict

Featured Stories

Latest from News

Presidential Poll: Obi To Address Nigerians Soon, As Datti Calls For Calm

DSS Invites Datti Over Alleged Inciting Comments

The Department of State Services (DSS) has invited the founder of Baze University and former vice-presidential candidate, Senator Yusuf Datti Baba-Ahmed, over recent public comments security operatives consider potentially inciting against the Nigerian State. According to a security source the invitation followed
Pastor Taiwo Odukoya, Founder Of Fountain of Life Church
Previous Story

Remembering Pastor Taiwo Odukoya:10 Key Aspects Of His Life And Legacy

Tory Lanez Sentenced To 10 Years
Next Story

Tory Lanez Sentenced To 10 Years : A Deeper Look Into The Verdict

Don't Miss

BBNaija All-Stars Major Highlights From Week One

BBNaija All-Stars Major Highlights From Week One: Love Triangles, Re-Opened Wounds

The much-awaited 8th edition of Big Brother Naija (BBNaija) All-Stars

EXCLUSIVE: EFCC Says Ex-Fidelity Bank MD Not In Custody, Granted Administrative Bail

THE Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Wednesday night confirmed