US Imposes Sanctions On Wagner Group Over Gold, Killings In Africa, Days After Mutiny In Russia

June 27, 2023
US Election 2024: Biden Wins Primary In Michigan, Amid ‘Uncommitted’ Votes Threat

The United States has imposed sanctions aimed at disrupting gold mining activities that fund the Wagner Group in Africa.

Imposing the sanctions on Tuesday, the Biden administration vowed to hold the mercenaries accountable for abuses in Africa and other places.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

Coming days after the Wagner Group staged a mutiny in Russia, the measures had been previously planned but were briefly put on hold as US officials sought to avoid appearing to favor a side in a power struggle between the mercenaries’ chief Yevgeny Prigozhin and Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The measures, according to Treasury Department, affect Midas Resources, which operates mines in the Central African Republic, and Diamville, a gold and diamond purchasing company in the country- and said both were controlled by Prigozhin.

The sanctions- which will block any US assets and criminalize transactions with the companies- also target a Dubai-based company, Industrial Resources General Trading, that is accused of handling finances for Prigozhin’s dealings in Diamville.

“The Wagner Group funds its brutal operations in part by exploiting natural resources in countries like the Central African Republic and Mali,” Treasury official, Brian Nelson, said in a statement.

“The United States will continue to target the Wagner Group’s revenue streams to degrade its expansion and violence in Africa, Ukraine and anywhere else,” Brian maintained.

The Wagner Group has been contracted by military regimes in Africa and played an increasingly violent role in Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, with Prigozhin urging Putin to use even greater force.

State Department spokesman, Matthew Miller, previewing the sanctions earlier Tuesday, renewed his criticism of the Wagner mercenaries, who have been accused of wide abuses in Africa.

“We believe that everywhere that Wagner goes, they bring death and destruction in their wake. They hurt local populations, they extract minerals and extract money from the communities where they operate,” Miller told reporters.

“And so we would continue to urge governments in Africa and elsewhere to cease any cooperation with Wagner,” he said.

AFP reports that the UN human rights body last month reported that foreign forces- identified by the United States as Wagner- were involved in a massacre of at least 500 people in the central Malian town of Moura in March 2022.

Prigozhin, as part of a deal with the Kremlin, was allowed to travel to Belarus, the Russian ally’s strongman, Alexander Lukashenko, confirmed on Tuesday.

Lukashenko’s decision to welcome Prigozhin marks “another example of him choosing the interests of Vladimir Putin and choosing the interests of the Kremlin over the interests of the Belarusian people,” Miller said.

+ posts

Featured Stories

Latest from World News

Search Widens Across Ravaged Sumatra After Deadly Floods Claim 49 Lives

Indonesia has intensified search-and-rescue operations across flood-ravaged parts of North Sumatra, Aceh and West Sumatra, where days of relentless monsoon rains have triggered deadly flash floods and landslides, leaving 49 people confirmed dead and 67 missing as of Thursday. Rescuers, supported by
Previous Story

Organisers Ban Sales Of Alcohol At Paris Olympics

Russian Rocket Strike Kills 2, Injures Dozens In Ukraine Restaurant
Next Story

Russian Rocket Strike Kills 2, Injures Dozens In Ukraine Restaurant

Don't Miss

Shift Towards Domestic Tourism A Game Changer In Post-Covid-19 Recovery – Wayne Godwin

By Wayne Godwin For decades, tourism has remained a major

RMD Mourns Victims Of Abuja-Kaduna Train Attacks

Nollywood superstar actor Richard Mofe Damijo has spared his thoughts