Starmer Eyes Billions in Extra Defence Spending

February 16, 2026

Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer is reportedly exploring plans to accelerate the UK’s defence spending, potentially committing billions of pounds more than previously planned. Downing Street sources say the proposals aim to meet an existing target of 3% of gross domestic product (GDP) on core defence before the end of the current parliament, possibly bringing forward ambitions originally set for the next parliamentary term.

Sir Keir had pledged last year to raise spending to 2.5% of GDP by April 2027, with a longer-term goal of reaching 3%. Speaking at the Munich Security Conference over the weekend, he signalled urgency, saying: “To meet the wider threat, it’s clear that we are going to have to spend more, faster.”

The move comes amid rising global security concerns, particularly related to Russia, and after the Ministry of Defence (MOD) warned it would need an additional £28bn over the next four years to deliver existing plans. Chief of the Defence Staff Sir Richard Knighton told MPs in January that current budgets were insufficient to meet requirements at the desired pace.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

Costs, Funding and NATO Commitments
According to the Office for Budget Responsibility, reaching 3% of GDP by 2029–30 could cost the government an additional £17.3bn per year, although the Institute for Fiscal Studies estimates the figure at £13–14bn once planned increases are factored in. Last year, the UK spent about £66bn on defence, around 2.3% of GDP.

No final decision has been made, with Treasury officials reportedly cautious about the impact on public finances. Options under discussion include reallocating funds from overseas aid, net-zero initiatives, or major infrastructure projects, or increasing borrowing, though ministers are wary of upsetting fiscal rules or financial markets.

Meeting the accelerated target could also reinforce the UK’s role within NATO. Defence officials say the move would be welcomed by allies, including the United States. Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper described the plans as “the largest sustained increase in defence spending since the Cold War,” adding that further investment would be required to strengthen the country’s security and international partnerships.

An MOD spokesperson declined to comment on speculation, noting only that the government is “delivering the largest sustained increase in defence spending since the Cold War, with an extra £5bn for defence this financial year alone.”

As geopolitical pressures grow, the debate now centres on whether the UK can afford to accelerate the increase in defence spending, and how it might pay for it without destabilising public finances.

+ posts

Prosper Okoye is a Correspondent and Research Writer at Prime Business Africa, a Nigerian journalist with experience in development reporting, public affairs, and policy-focused storytelling across Africa

Prosper Okoye

Prosper Okoye is a Correspondent and Research Writer at Prime Business Africa, a Nigerian journalist with experience in development reporting, public affairs, and policy-focused storytelling across Africa

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Previous Story

NRS Debunks Claims of 25% Tax on Building Materials, Says Nigeria Tax Act 2025 Already in Effect

Next Story

BUA Group Signs Strategic Partnership with UAE Firms

Featured Stories

Latest from Security

Criminalising Refusal To Sing Anthem Not Our Priority – Lawyer

National Assembly Approves N1.5tn Budget for Army

The National Assembly has approved a budget of N1.50 trillion for the Nigerian Army for the 2026 fiscal year, pledging legislative support to ensure funds are released promptly for operational use. The Nigerian Army’s budget for 2026 has been increased by around

Six Dead as Suspected Bandits Attack Communities in Niger State

At least six people have been killed and a police station destroyed following a coordinated attack by suspected bandits on Tungan-Makeri and Konkoso communities in Niger State’s Borgu Local Government Area (LGA). The assault reportedly began late on Friday night in Tungan-Makeri,

FG Launches Operation Savannah Shield after 75 Killed in Kwara Attacks

The Federal Government on Thursday launched a major security operation across Nigeria’s North-Central region after gunmen killed at least 75 people in coordinated attacks on two communities in Kwara State. The new offensive, code-named Operation Savannah Shield, will see additional soldiers, police

Youths Protest Killing of Two in Abia Community

Youths in Amiyi Obilohia, a community in Isuikwuato Local Government Area of Abia State, on Thursday blocked the main road leading to the local market in protest over the killing of two young men during a confrontation with suspected armed robbers. The protest
Previous Story

NRS Debunks Claims of 25% Tax on Building Materials, Says Nigeria Tax Act 2025 Already in Effect

Next Story

BUA Group Signs Strategic Partnership with UAE Firms

Don't Miss

2023 West African Senior School Certificate Examination Results Released

2023 West African Senior School Certificate Examination Results Released

The West African Examination Council (WAEC) has proudly declared the
Fuel Subsidy: World Bank Must Allow Africa’s Poor Breathe

Fuel Subsidy: World Bank Must Allow Africa’s Poor Breathe [Editorial]

The World Bank has for long been dogged by allegations