El-Rufai Faces Criminal Charges for Alleged Interception of NSA Ribadu’s Phone Calls

February 16, 2026
El Rufai

The Federal Government has initiated legal proceedings against Nasir El-Rufai, the former governor of Kaduna State, on three counts related to the alleged interception of communications belonging to Nigeria’s National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu.

Allegations of Unlawful Surveillance

El-Rufai’s legal troubles began after he made controversial claims during an interview last week, where he stated that he, along with unnamed individuals, had listened to conversations from Ribadu’s phone, purportedly after it was tapped by a third party. While he acknowledged that such interception is technically illegal, El-Rufai argued that illegal surveillance is not uncommon in the current political climate.

Legal Action by the Department of State Services

In response to these allegations, the Department of State Services (DSS) arraigned El-Rufai before the Federal High Court in Abuja. According to a charge sheet obtained on Monday, the government asserts that El-Rufai admitted to the unlawful interception of the NSA’s communications during the interview.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

The charge sheet states: “That you, Malla Nasir El-Rufai, adult male, on 13th February 2026, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, within the jurisdiction of this court, did admit during the interview that you and your cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 12 (1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.”

READ ALSO:

El-Rufai In Kaduna: Like Nnamdi Kanu … Like Sunday Igboho?

INEC Clarifies Rationale for 2027 General Election Dates, Signals Possible Review After Stakeholder Concerns

Elumelu Presses Tinubu on Power-Sector Debts

Implications of the Case

This legal action raises serious questions about the implications of surveillance and the sanctity of communications within Nigeria’s political framework. As the case unfolds, it will likely attract significant attention, highlighting ongoing concerns regarding privacy and security in the nation.

+ posts

Prosper Okoye is a Correspondent and Research Writer at Prime Business Africa, a Nigerian journalist with experience in development reporting, public affairs, and policy-focused storytelling across Africa

Prosper Okoye

Prosper Okoye is a Correspondent and Research Writer at Prime Business Africa, a Nigerian journalist with experience in development reporting, public affairs, and policy-focused storytelling across Africa

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Previous Story

Peter Obi’s 2027 Presidential Ambitions: A New Chapter in Nigerian Politics

El-Rufai Leaves APC For Social Democratic Party
Next Story

Kaduna Victims’ Coalition Demands Probe of Alleged Abuses Under Nasir el-Rufai

Featured Stories

Latest from News

Five Injured After Swiss Train Derails 

Five people have been injured after a regional train derailed in southern Switzerland, with police saying an avalanche may have crossed the tracks moments before the train passed. The accident happened early on Monday near the village of Goppenstein, as the area

Kenya Airport Strike Grounds Flights

A strike by aviation workers has disrupted flights and air traffic control operations at Kenya’s main airport, causing delays for passengers across the country. Kenya’s national carrier, Kenya Airways, said services were affected at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, one of Africa’s busiest

Tinubu Urges Release of South Sudan Vice-President

President Bola Tinubu has called for the immediate and unconditional release of South Sudan’s First Vice-President, Riek Machar, as part of efforts to revive the country’s stalled peace process. In a message delivered by Vice-President Kashim Shettima, Mr Tinubu said Nigeria remained

Six Dead as Suspected Bandits Attack Communities in Niger State

At least six people have been killed and a police station destroyed following a coordinated attack by suspected bandits on Tungan-Makeri and Konkoso communities in Niger State’s Borgu Local Government Area (LGA). The assault reportedly began late on Friday night in Tungan-Makeri,
Previous Story

Peter Obi’s 2027 Presidential Ambitions: A New Chapter in Nigerian Politics

El-Rufai Leaves APC For Social Democratic Party
Next Story

Kaduna Victims’ Coalition Demands Probe of Alleged Abuses Under Nasir el-Rufai

Don't Miss

Remarkable Things To Know About Late Minister Of Justice, Bola Ajibola

Prince Bola Ajibola, a former Judge of the International Court
'Fast X' Dominates Nigerian Box Office, Earns ₦32 Million

‘Fast X’ Dominates Nigerian Box Office, Earns ₦32 Million In Three Weeks

‘Fast X’ has been dominating the Nigerian box office, raking