2024 Budget: Reallocate Resources To Critical Areas, Obi Tells Nigerian Govt

March 19, 2024
Obi Calls On Tinubu To Reverse New Petrol Price Hike  
Peter Obi

Presidential Candidate of the Labour Party in the 2023 general election, Mr Party Obi has called on the Nigerian government to urgently review the 2024 national budget and reallocate resources to critical areas of need.

Obi’s call for review followed the budget padding allegation controversy that rocked the polity last week when a senator representing Bauchi Central senatorial district in the National Assembly, Abdul Ningi, claimed that about N3.7 trillion was not attached to any specific project. He was consequently suspended for three months by the Senate who asserted that his comments tarnished the image of the parliament, Presidency, and were capable of inciting Nigerians against the Federal Government.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

In a statement via his verified X handle, Obi said that having followed the controversies trailing the 2024 budget, and having read some of the budgetary provisions and allocations of resources, it was imperative that a review of the appropriations should be done.

“The Executive and Legislative arms should initiate an immediate review of the budget as it is still in the early days of implementation in order to enable them do urgent virement of resources to critical areas,” Obi stated.

READ ALSO: Alleged Budget Padding: Nigerians Deserve Better Explanation From Presidency, National Assembly – Peter Obi

The former Anambra State governor stressed the need for adequate utilisation of the national resources in line with the country’s development priorities for the greater good of the people.

He urged the executive and legislative arm of the government to consider reallocating resources to critical areas such as security, hunger and poverty eradication, power supply, healthcare and education.

He expressed concerns about the level of insecurity across the country as manifested in kidnappings and killings of innocent people, adding that such a narrative poses a significant threat to the economy as it discourages both foreign and local investors.

“With all of these happening in our nation, how then can we attract foreign investors, & retain the confidence of local investors?” he queried.

Obi cited reports that revealed that Nigeria has become one of the hungriest nations in the world and one of the most difficult nations in the world to live in “with food prices constantly going out of the reach of most Nigerians” and  “power supply is abysmally poor.”

On healthcare, he said: “About 80 percent of our primary healthcare centres are not functional. The cost of medical treatments and medicines have gone beyond the reach of most Nigerians.”

He also underscored the need for the government to make a serious effort to increase access to education, especially for young people, noting that Nigeria, regrettably, now has “the highest number of out-of-school children, with about 20 million out-of-school children.”

“We need to take our children off the streets and give them access to basic education.

“I, therefore, urge our executive and legislative arms to consider the many challenges facing our nation and re-allocate resources to these very critical areas. This is the time for complete sacrifice. A New Nigeria is still very POssible,” Obi added.

 

 

 

 

 

victor ezeja
Correspondent at  |  + posts

Victor Ezeja is a passionate journalist with seven years of experience writing on economy, politics and energy. He holds a Master's degree in Mass Communication.

Victor Ezeja

Victor Ezeja is a passionate journalist with seven years of experience writing on economy, politics and energy. He holds a Master's degree in Mass Communication.

Nigeria Needs Leaders With Strong Political Will To Prosper - Ezekwesili
Previous Story

Nigeria Needs Leaders With Strong Political Will To Prosper – Ezekwesili

Armed Forces Vow To Make Nigeria Peaceful
Next Story

Gaps In Civil Military Affairs

Featured Stories

Latest from Politics

Why EFCC Wants Obiano’s N4bn Case Back Before Justice Ekwo

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has asked the Federal High Court in Abuja to allow the ongoing trial of former Anambra State governor, Willie Obiano, to continue before Justice Inyang Ekwo rather than start afresh before another judge. Obiano is
Nigeria Needs Leaders With Strong Political Will To Prosper - Ezekwesili
Previous Story

Nigeria Needs Leaders With Strong Political Will To Prosper – Ezekwesili

Armed Forces Vow To Make Nigeria Peaceful
Next Story

Gaps In Civil Military Affairs

Don't Miss

Dangote Refinery, FCCPC Clash As NNPCL Insists On Importation Of Fuel

NNPC Still Sole Off-taker For Dangote Petrol, Marketers Insist

NNPC Retains Control Despite Government Directive The Nigerian National Petroleum
Iyabo Ojo Reveals Mohbad's House CCTV Camera Was Never Functional Bisina Somto In the wake of the tragic demise of Nigerian singer, Mohbad, the public eagerly awaited answers and closure. Nollywood actress Iyabo Ojo recently provided a significant update, revealing that the investigation into Mohbad's death has taken an unexpected turn. As of today, the Nigeria Police Force is still awaiting the results of the toxicology report from the autopsy conducted on Mohbad, who passed away on September 12, 2023. Iyabo Ojo took to her Instagram account on October 17 to share these developments. She informed the public that Mohbad's case has been handed over to the Directorate of Public Prosecution, indicating the seriousness of the investigation. Furthermore, she disclosed the fact that Mohbad's body remains with the police since his exhumation in September. Ojo also revealed that the surveillance cameras in Mohbad's residence were never connected. As a result, there is no footage to shed light on the events leading up to his untimely death. Ojo went on to provide additional insights, stating, "Mohbad's wife has been interrogated three times to the best of my knowledge." Two of these interrogations occurred on the day when Mohbad's father was televised by the police, addressing the public about the case. On the same day, Mohbad's father, mother, and wife were transported to Panti for further questioning and to provide their statements. Another round of questioning of Mohbad's wife took place on September 21, 2023, during which she was absent, leading to speculations involving Tonto and Senator Ishaku Abbo. Mohbad's sudden and mysterious death in September triggered nationwide peaceful protests, as Nigerians called for a thorough investigation. The police responded by conducting an autopsy after exhuming his body from his grave in Ikorodu. The official police report attributed Mohbad's death to a reaction from three injections administered by an auxiliary nurse. Despite this revelation, Nigerians are still awaiting crucial results, including the toxicology report. The investigation, which has involved questioning over 20 individuals, has yielded the identification of five suspects in Mohbad's case. These include Feyisayo Ogendengbe, the nurse who administered the injections, Ayobami Sadiq (aka Spending), a friend who invited the nurse, Owodunni Ibrahim (aka Primeboy), who allegedly had a physical altercation with the deceased a day before his death, and Naira Marley, Mohbad's former music label boss, as well as Sam Larry, both of whom the singer accused of bullying and physical assault before his death. The enigma surrounding Mohbad's passing continues to intensify, leaving the nation in suspense as it awaits answers and justice. The absence of connected CCTV cameras adds another layer of complexity to a case already fraught with mystery, raising questions about the events leading up to this tragic loss. Only time will tell if the truth behind Mohbad's death will ever be fully unveiled.

BBNaija Star Laycon Faces Backlash For Controversial Statement, Addresses Critics

Olamilekan Agbeleshebioba, better known as Laycon, the winner of Big