Ojoto INEC Fire: I Called Police Early Enough – Traditional Ruler

February 1, 2023
by
Ojoto INEC Fire: I Called Police Early Enough - Traditional Ruler
IGP, Usman Baba

His Royal Highness,  Igwe Gerald Obunadike Mbamalu, the traditional ruler of Ojoto, headquarters of Idemili South Local Government Area in Anambra State says he informed the local police of the Ojoto INEC fire and the planned attack by gunmen in the early hours of Wednesday, February 1, 2023.

Igwe Mbamalu, who spoke to Prime Business Africa in a telephone conversation following the news of an attack on the Local Government Office of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) setting ablaze and reportedly destroying many unclaimed permanent voter cards (PVCs), said he personally called the police station at 3. am  “to inform the DPO.”

Join our WhatsApp Channel

According to Igwe Mbamalu, it was unfortunate that the police division the area,  instead of immediately sending its men to the area, the DPO advised him to mobilise the community vigilante group through the Chief Security Officer (CSO) to lay ambush and block the attackers before police officers could come.

READ ALSO: Gunmen In Anambra Attack Ojoto INEC Office, Nnobi Police Station, Kill 16-year-old

“When we got the information at about 3 am on Wednesday that the arsonists behind the Ojoto INEC fire came in a white Hilux van, we alerted the Police division, but nothing was done to prevent it.

“I had personally called the DPO at 3 a.m when information filtered in that some group of people came in a white Hilux van to set the INEC office on fire,” the monarch said told Prime Business Africa correspondent on telephone.

Many Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) were said to have been burnt by the fire set on the INEC’s office building in the LGA.

INEC was yet to respond to an inquiry by our correspondent regarding the fire incident upon filling this report.

Meanwhile, the gunmen also attacked a Police Station and a residential building at Nnobi, less than two kilometres from Ojoto INEC Office, killing a 16-year-old boy and injuring a female aged 15 years.  The police station is also located in the same Council Area.

The hoodlums were said to have invaded the facilities at about 1:45 am on Wednesday, armed with IEDs, petrol bombs, and other explosives.

When contacted, the Anambra State Police Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Tochukwu Ikenga, confirmed the incident and gave the assurance that security had been reinforced in both areas.  “Anambra State Police Command today 1/2/2023 has reinforced security deployment in the state, following an attack on the INEC office in idemili South, Ojoto and Nnobi Police Station,” Ikenga said. 

Featured Stories

Latest from News

Unity–Providus Merger: Customers May Face Short-Term Disruptions

The proposed merger between Unity Bank Plc and Providus Bank Limited has entered its final stage, with integration activities underway following regulatory approval and shareholder backing. For customers, the main concern is likely to be short-term disruption as the two banks combine

Mugabe’s Son Arrested in South Africa Over Alleged Shooting

Bellarmine Chatunga, the son of former Zimbabwean leader Robert Mugabe, has been arrested in South Africa following an alleged shooting at his residence in Johannesburg. Police say the incident took place at his home in the upmarket Hyde Park suburb, where an

Nigeria-Germany Talks Raise Hopes for Power, Jobs, Security Gains

Millions of Nigerians struggling with unreliable electricity and limited job opportunities could see some relief after fresh talks between President Bola Tinubu and Germany’s Chancellor Friedrich Merz. In a brief phone call on Wednesday, the two leaders discussed closer cooperation on power,

EU Funding Boosts Nigeria’s Internet Expansion Plans

Faster and more reliable internet could soon reach millions of Nigerians after the European Union pledged €22m to support the country’s fibre-optic expansion. The funding, announced in Abuja, is part of the government’s Project BRIDGE initiative, which aims to extend broadband access
The Nigeria Ports Authority (NPA), the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) and three other agencies have been accused of illegal auction of Federal Government properties. 
Previous Story

Pres. Buhari’s Request To Restructure CBN Loan Suspended Again

Tinubu Absent In Own Scheduled Meeting With Anambra Governor, Traditional Rulers
Next Story

Tinubu Absent In Own Scheduled Meeting With Anambra Governor, Traditional Rulers

Don't Miss

Former England Captain, Beckham, Others Receive Knighthood, Awards

Former England international, David Beckham, among several British athletes, was
NAFDAC Slashes Renewal Fees By 65% For MSMEs

NAFDAC Orders Manufacturers To Eliminate Industrial TFAs, Reduce Sodium

The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control