NGX Group Addresses Criticism Of CEO, Oscar Onyema, Management Decisions

September 22, 2022
NGX Group CEO, Oscar Onyema. Photo Credit: Peoples Gazette

The Nigerian Exchange Group (NGX Group) has reacted to criticism that has trailed the decisions of its Chief Executive Officer, Oscar Onyema, and the management of the firm. 

NGX Group had been condemned for having poor corporate governance, demanding to raise N35 billion through shares and debt without giving reasons, awarding the management 200,419,990 ordinary shares of 50 kobo each for the operation of a Long Term Incentive Plan. 

Join our WhatsApp Channel

Onyema-led management had also been criticised for dwindling share price and not paying shareholders dividends despite rewarding themselves with shares, and some shareholders receiving payment. 

In a statement addressing the criticism, NGX Group said its share price has not depreciated below its listing price of N16.15kobo, and the shares management were said to have been rewarded with, half, being, 100,209,995 ordinary shares are to be purchased by employees at a discount of between 15% – 20% of its market price. 

What NGX Group Is Saying

On the Corporate Governance issue, the company said, “The NGX Group’s operations are built on an effective corporate governance framework and the highest corporate governance standards. Regarding the tenure of the Chairman and the Group Chief Executive Officer of NGX Group, it is pertinent to note that both esteemed individuals were appointed following due process and with the applicable regulatory approvals.” 

Regarding the Value of Shares at Listing, NGX Group stated, “While it is factual and public knowledge that the demutualisation of the NSE (during which it changed its name to Nigerian Exchange Group Plc) was eventually completed when it became a capital market holding company effective 01 March 2021, and NGX Group was listed on Nigerian Exchange Limited in October 2021, the listing price of its shares was NGN16.15 and not NGN27.90 as erroneously reported. Please refer to the cover page of the Listing Memorandum which is a public document.” 

Addressing the Proposed Capital Raise, NGX opined, “The Company intends to raise additional capital of up to NGN35,000,000,000 to fund (i) the business expansion; (ii) the growth phase for existing business lines/investments; and (iii) investments in identified and carefully curated new targets, in line with the Company’s and NGX Group’s strategy. 

“As captured in the notice of the AGM, the Company does not intend to raise the entire amount in USD. NGX Group has also identified viable investment opportunities in line with its strategic expansion plans, including deepening investments in the existing portfolio companies to ensure high and steady dividend returns. NGX Group is therefore on course with its long-term strategy which will ensure it provides competitive returns for its investors.” 

To read the full document addressing the criticism, click this link.

Featured Stories

Latest from Business

MTN Shareholders, Karl Toriola Lose N581.57bn Within Three Days

FG to Review MTN Group’s Acquisition of IHS Towers Over Sector Impact

The Federal Government has said it will undertake a comprehensive assessment of the reported acquisition of IHS Towers by MTN Group, citing the strategic importance of telecommunications infrastructure to Nigeria’s national security, economic stability and digital growth, Prime Business Africa reports. In

Zenith Bank, Skyway Aviation Drag Down NGX Market Cap By N577.40bn

The market capitalisation of the Nigerian Exchange (NGX), also known as the stock market, decreased to N121.55 trillion on Tuesday, February 17, from the N122.12 trillion recorded on Monday, February 16. This represents a decline of N577.40 billion in the market capitalisation,

Soludo Seals Shops for Two Weeks over Monday Sit-at-Home

The Anambra State Government has sealed dozens of shops at two major markets in Idemili North council area after traders failed to open for business on Monday, despite a directive to resume trading. The affected markets are the Building Materials Market in
Nigeria, World Leaders Pool $14 Billion To Fight AIDS, TB, Malaria
Previous Story

Nigeria, World Leaders Pool $14 Billion To Fight AIDS, TB, Malaria

IPMAN Asks FG To Partner With Illegal Refinery Operators In Creeks
Next Story

Nigeria Loses N877 billion, As It Struggles To Meet Crude Oil Production Target

Don't Miss

Ibeto Energy

Failed Transaction: Court Orders Ibeto Energy To Refund N2.29bn To Dozzy Oil

A High Court sitting in Port Harcourt has ordered Ibeto
The no-case submission filed by former Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, has been struck out, by Justice Obiora Egwuatu of the Federal High Court, Abuja.

Alleged ₦5.2b Fraud: Court Strikes Out Ex-Jamb Registrar’s No-case Submission

The no-case submission filed by former Registrar of the Joint