I’m Not Afraid Of Treason Charges – Sowore

September 16, 2024

Presidential candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC) in the 2023 election, Omoyele Sowore, has said he committed no crime and is not afraid of any charge of treason by the Nigerian government for his anti-government activities.

Speaking in an interview on Arise News shortly after his release by the Nigeria Immigration Service on Sunday, Sowore said he is not new to treason charges by the Nigerian government.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

The activist had on Sunday morning announced in a post on his handle that he was detained and his international passport seized by operatives of the Nigeria Immigration Service upon arrival at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport Lagos from the United States.

He said it was not unexpected as he had been informed that his name is on the watch list, over his engagement with anti-government protests.

READ ALSO: 2023 Elections: Why Coalition Of Parties Won’t Work – Sowore

He wrote: “Detained by the @NigerianImmigration, my International passport confiscated.

“I had just arrived in Nigeria from the USA to the MMIA in Lagos; upon reaching Nigerian Immigration, my passport was seized, and they told me they had orders to detain me.

*This is not and unexpected because I have always known that it is part of the broader clampdown by the fascist @officialAbat regime on dissent and their fear of the upcoming #Fearless in October revolt,” Sowore wrote.

After a brief detention, Sowore confirmed that he had been released by the authorities and given his international passport.

Speaking on why he returned to Nigeria, the human Rights activists said “I came to Nigeria because I have a case soon, and nothing would stop me.”

“I am a Nigerian, and no Nigerian should be afraid of their own country simply because of some people in power. I do not owe the government fear just because they placed my name on a watch list,” Sowore told the programme anchor, Reuben Abati on Sunday.

Victor Ezeja

Victor Ezeja is a passionate journalist with seven years of experience writing on economy, politics and energy. He holds a Master's degree in Mass Communication.

We’re Selling PMS At  N990/Litre, Dangote Reveals
Previous Story

Dangote Refinery: We Sold Petrol Cheaper To NNPCL, Debunks N898 Per Litre Claim

SERAP sues Tinubu, govs over cybercrime law abuse
Next Story

SERAP Sues President Tinubu Over Petrol Price Hike, Seeks Reversal To N600 Per Litre

Featured Stories

Latest from News

How Wike Undermined Smooth Local Council Poll: by HURIWA

The Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria (HURIWA) has condemned FCT Minister Nyesom Wike’s actions, which allegedly undermined Saturday’s local council polls in Abuja. HURIWA expressed concern that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu seems unable to control his minister, allowing Wike to allegedly
We’re Selling PMS At  N990/Litre, Dangote Reveals
Previous Story

Dangote Refinery: We Sold Petrol Cheaper To NNPCL, Debunks N898 Per Litre Claim

SERAP sues Tinubu, govs over cybercrime law abuse
Next Story

SERAP Sues President Tinubu Over Petrol Price Hike, Seeks Reversal To N600 Per Litre

Don't Miss

Nigeria To Sign Landmark Investment Agreements With Other Countries At LCCI 2023 Int’l Conference

The Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI) is set
UNN Student Entrepreneurs 2023

UNN Student Entrepreneurs 2023

By Jacinta Chisom Oguadinma The University of Nigeria, Nsukka