The Federal Government filed 20 new charges against the suspended Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele, on Tuesday.
FG made the disclosure after withdrawing its illegal possession of firearms charge against Emefiele, which was challenged by the defendant’s counsel, Joseph Daudu.
Prime Business Africa previously reported that Emefiele appeared before the court for the first time on 25 July 2023 after he was suspended and arrested on 9 June.
During his appearance at a federal high court in Ikoyi, a two-count charge was read to him, one being illegal possession of a firearm and illegal possession of ammunition.
However, on Tuesday, the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) at the Federal Ministry of Justice, Mohammed Abubakar, told Journalists that the illegal possession of firearms charge has been withdrawn.
Abubakar made an oral application for the new charges against Emefiele, one of which he told the media is an accusation of Emefiele “conferring unlawful advantages”.
The new charges were contested by Daudu, who told Justice Oweibo that before the new application can be considered, FG must adhere to the court’s order granting Emefiele bail.
Recall that after the court hearing on 25 July, the judge granted Emefiele bail at N20 million, however, after the hearing, the agents of the Department of State Service (DSS) re-arrested Emefiele.
The prison officials were not allowed to take Emefiele out of the court premises, as the DSS operatives challenged them, resulting in a physical assault on the prison officials.
The ruling on the new application by the government was postponed by Justice Oweibo to Thursday, 17 August 2023.