Youth Group Suspends Protest Against Rising Wave Of Kidnapping In Abuja

Youth Groups Shelve Plan To Protest Rising Wave Of Kidnapping In Abuja

3 months ago
2 mins read

A coalition of Youth groups organizing a peaceful demonstration to call for a stop to the ongoing kidnappings and murders that have wreaked havoc in the Middle Belt region and in some other areas of the country have announced suspension of the exercise.

Middle Belt Forum had announced plans to organise a peaceful protest within Abuja metropolis to register their displeasure over the rising wave of kidnappings and killings in different parts of the region. Part of the group’s aim was to at congregate at Treasury House, Samuel Ladoke Akintola Boulevard, Garki II, Abuja, and march to the Attorney General of the Federation’s office and other parts demanding the designation of bandits and kidnappers as terrorists.

According to a statement made available to Prime Business Africa by Chima Christian, executive director of Africa Morning Rising, a co-organising group with Middle Belt  Youth Forum,  a Federal government through its representative interfacing with the group had last night requested that the peaceful walk be postponed because President Bola Tinubu would be attending a function within the area the protest was scheduled to take place.

Christian further said the Federal Government informed that the area would be cordoned off by security operatives and advised that another date mutually agreed between the parties be chosen for the peaceful protest.

READ ALSO: Tinubu To Security Chiefs: Nigeria’s $1trillion Economy Target Will Be Undermined If Insecurity Not Degraded

The statement reads: “Despite having previously secured firm arrangements, Nigerian authorities have, late last night, requested that we postpone the solidarity peace walk scheduled to hold in Abuja today. They have instead asked that we work with them to choose another date that is mutually convenient.

“According to them, the President and the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Federal Republic of Nigeria, will be attending a function near the location/route of the planned peace walk. Because of this, we have been told that the area will be cordoned off on the date of the planned peace walk in keeping up with the president’s security and protocol arrangements.

“The state agents we interface with have been quite courteous in all our engagements with them up to this moment. While the room for suspicion of foul play and underhand tactics exists, we have, as law-abiding citizens, chosen to work within all acceptable state protocols.

“We regret this forced postponement and apologise for the inconveniences this might cause our media partners and all intending participants. Rest assured that we’ll work assiduously to organise the peace walk in the nearest future, and will continue to carry out all lawful activities aimed at bringing an end to the killings and other acts of terrorism going on in Nigeria’s Middle Belt Region.”

Kidnapping for ransom and killings around the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) have risen in recent times. Last week Thursday, 19 persons were abducted by bandits from the Sagwari Estate Layout in Dutsen-Alhaji area in the Bwari Area Council of the FCT.

A N700 million ransom has been requested by the kidnappers for nine of their hostages.

Nabeeha Al-Kadriyar, a 400-level biological science student at Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, and 13-year-old Folashade Ariyo were two of the four hostages slain by the kidnappers.

Along with six other sisters, Nabeeha was kidnapped. The remaining five sisters including Najeebah, a 500-level student studying quantity surveying, and Nadherah, a 300-level student studying zoology, are still with the abductors.

 

 

Victor Ezeja is a passionate journalist with six years of experience writing on economy, politics and energy. He holds a Masters degree in Mass Communication.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


MOST READ

Follow Us

Latest from Featured Posts

Don't Miss