Subsidy: Court Bars NLC, TUC From Embarking On Strike

June 5, 2023
Court Of Appeal Confirms IPOB’s Designation As Terrorist Group

The  National Industrial Court on Monday granted an interim order restraining the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC),  from embarking on the planned nationwide strike.

Justice Olufunke Anuwe, who issued the order, adjourned further hearing till 19 June.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

The labour unions had planned to begin a nationwide on Wednesday, June 7 if the federal government fails to reverse the pump price of petrol that was increased last week following the announcement of the removal of subsidy on petrol.

 

READ ALSO: NLC Declares Nationwide Strike Starting June 7 Over Fuel Subsidy Removal

 

The order of the court followed an ex parte application by the office of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice seeking to stop the planned strike.

Giving his order, Justice Anuwe said the Federal Government’s submission reveals a scenario that may gravely affect the larger society and the well-being of the country at large.

The court also noted that the Federal Government’s counsel had pointed out that students of secondary schools nationwide, especially those currently writing the Senior School Certificate Exams would be affected; students of tertiary institutions who resumed recently after a long ASUU strike would also be affected. He also argued that other sectors like health and the economy generally, would be affected.

The order comes as the Federal Government’s representatives are meeting with the organised labour represented by the NLC President, Joe Ajero, and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) president, Festus Usifo, at the State House, Abuja, over the fuel subsidy removal.

victor ezeja
Correspondent at  |  + posts

Victor Ezeja is a passionate journalist with seven years of experience writing on economy, politics and energy. He holds a Master's degree in Mass Communication.

Victor Ezeja

Victor Ezeja is a passionate journalist with seven years of experience writing on economy, politics and energy. He holds a Master's degree in Mass Communication.

Previous Story

Former Senate President Thumbs Up ‘Soaring’ Flying Eagles Despite U-20 World Cup Exit 

Next Story

Saudi Government Set To Invest $20 billion Into Football Clubs

Featured Stories

Latest from Labour

Paystack Fires Co‑Founder Olubi Amid Sexual Misconduct Allegations

Paystack, one of Africa’s leading fintech companies, has terminated the employment of its co-founder and Chief Technology Officer, Ezra Olubi, following public allegations of sexual misconduct involving a junior employee. The dismissal, confirmed by Olubi in a personal blog post on Saturday,

Indefinite Strike Hits Federal Health Sector Starting Tonight

Federal health facilities across Nigeria are set to be grounded as the Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU) directs its members to commence an indefinite nationwide strike from midnight of Friday, November 14, 2025, over a 12-year unresolved demand for adjustment of the
Previous Story

Former Senate President Thumbs Up ‘Soaring’ Flying Eagles Despite U-20 World Cup Exit 

Next Story

Saudi Government Set To Invest $20 billion Into Football Clubs

Don't Miss

How Spinal Cord Stimulation Helps Paralytics Walk Again

And Jesus said to the paralytic, “I say unto thee,

NFF Chieftains, Super Eagles Coaches Meet Players In London 

Join our WhatsApp Channel President of the Nigeria Football