Senegal Lawmakers Vote To Postpone Presidential Election Amid Controversy

February 6, 2024
Senegal Lawmakers Vote To Postpone Presidential Election Amid Controversy

In a move that has stirred both political controversy and public outcry, Senegal’s lawmakers have approved the postponement of the presidential election from February 25 to December 15.

The decision, which received parliamentary backing late on Monday, has been met with criticism, with many alleging it aims to restrict opposition participation in the upcoming poll.

President Macky Sall, who is set to step down from office come April, had previously announced the postponement on Saturday, citing problems with opposition candidates. However, the decision sparked violent demonstrations across the country, as citizens expressed frustration and dissatisfaction with the delay.

The bill to postpone the election garnered support from 105 out of 165 members of the assembly, effectively extending Sall’s tenure until his successor is installed. Originally scheduled for February 25, the further delay of the election raises concerns about potential unrest and exacerbating tensions within the country.

President Sall, who has served the maximum two terms, has insisted he has no intentions of extending his stay in office. Nevertheless, skepticism looms among protesters, particularly regarding his treatment of opposition leaders. Critics view the postponement as a strategic maneuver to limit the participation of opposition candidates and manipulate the democratic process.
Opposition leaders have vehemently condemned the move, labeling it a “constitutional coup” and an assault on democracy. The announcement of the delay, just as campaigning was set to commence, has intensified discontent among opposition ranks. At least three opposition candidates have pledged to challenge the decision in court, signaling a potential legal battle in the days ahead.
The parliamentary session, during which the bill was ratified, was marked by tension, as some opposition lawmakers sought to obstruct the voting process. Despite their efforts, the measure passed, further deepening the divide between the ruling party and its critics.
The African Union and other international bodies have appealed for calm and an amicable solution to the electoral dispute in the nation that has been praised by many as one of the stable democracies in Africa.

Join our WhatsApp Channel
+ posts
Just In: Court Clears Former Air Force Chief, Amosu, Others Of N21bn Money Laundering Charges
Previous Story

Just In: Court Clears Former Air Force Chief, Amosu, Others Of N21bn Money Laundering Charges

Nigeria’s power generation has risen to 5,313 Mega Watts (MW), first time in three years, says the Minister of Power, Bayo Adelabu.
Next Story

Geometric Power: Electricity Consumers Hail Media For Social Responsibility Role

Featured Stories

Latest from Africa

Mugabe’s Son Arrested in South Africa Over Alleged Shooting

Bellarmine Chatunga, the son of former Zimbabwean leader Robert Mugabe, has been arrested in South Africa following an alleged shooting at his residence in Johannesburg. Police say the incident took place at his home in the upmarket Hyde Park suburb, where an

Kenya to Begin Administering HIV Prevention Drug

Kenya will begin rolling out a new HIV-prevention drug in March, in what health officials have described as a major step forward in the fight against the virus. The drug, lenacapavir, is taken just twice a year and has been shown in

Gabon Suspends Social Media Amid Rising Unrest

Gabon’s media regulator has ordered the suspension of social media platforms “until further notice,” citing content that it says is fuelling division and unrest in the country. The High Authority for Communication (HAC) announced the move on Tuesday. Spokesman Jean-Claude Mendome said

Tinubu Urges Release of South Sudan Vice-President

President Bola Tinubu has called for the immediate and unconditional release of South Sudan’s First Vice-President, Riek Machar, as part of efforts to revive the country’s stalled peace process. In a message delivered by Vice-President Kashim Shettima, Mr Tinubu said Nigeria remained
Just In: Court Clears Former Air Force Chief, Amosu, Others Of N21bn Money Laundering Charges
Previous Story

Just In: Court Clears Former Air Force Chief, Amosu, Others Of N21bn Money Laundering Charges

Nigeria’s power generation has risen to 5,313 Mega Watts (MW), first time in three years, says the Minister of Power, Bayo Adelabu.
Next Story

Geometric Power: Electricity Consumers Hail Media For Social Responsibility Role

Don't Miss

With N406bn Gain, Palm Oil Companies Are Among Most Sought-After Stocks

Investors in the palm oil companies listed on the Nigerian
Tinubu Explains Why Nigeria Stopped Exporting Raw Gold, Lithium, Other Minerals

Manufacturers Criticise Nigerian Gov’t For Putting N70trn Debt Burden On Them

The Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) said the high taxes