Nigerians Kick Against Passport Fee Increase, 10-day Notice

August 22, 2024

Nigerians have kicked against the Federal Government’s decision to increase fees for obtaining Standard Passport, effective from September 1, 2024.

They said the period between when it was announced and the date its implementation takes effect is short.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

Prime Business Africa reported that the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) through a statement by its Public Relations Officer, DCI KT Udo, announced on Wednesday, 21st August, that the fees increase will take from 1st September 2024, which is just 10 days.

READ ALSO: Nigerian Govt Increases Passport Fees By 43%

The  NIS spokesperson said in the statement that the Federal Government approved that the 32-page Passport booklet with 5 year validity
previously charged at ₦35,000 will now
be ₦50,000, while 64-page Passport
booklet with 10 year validity which was
₦70,000 will now be ₦100,000.

This amounts to 42.9 per cent increase.

Reacting to the proposed international passport fees hike, an X user with the username, EJ and handle @Enwagboso said the 10-day notice given by the Federal Government shows lack of empathy to the plights of Nigerians.

He suggested that the Federal Government should review the pricing strategy to ensure that it does not impact negatively on the people.

“The 10-day notice for the passport price increase is an example of the government’s lack of empathy and consideration for its citizens. @officialABAT and @nigimmigration should obviously know this,” EJ wrote.

“I recommend reviewing the pricing strategy and considering a reversal or, at the very least, a delayed effective date of 1 January 2025.,” he added.

Another X user with the username Oluwaseun @Seun4christ said the Immigration Service has already stopped accepting payments based on the old fees

He wrote “Payment has been stopped already. All attempts to pay this evening have so far failed,” Oluwaseun wrote.

However, another X user said: “I can bet that, some people paid more to get their passport done expressly. If it’s 50 and 100k for 32 and 64 pages respectively and we will get it done seamlessly without paying bribe or extra cost then it’s ok.”

However, some said it will still be the same old prices.

“If this will remove the corruption from the process then it makes sense since people are already paying over 100k for the 32 pages.

“This is a common knowledge but trust people to act obtuse.

“The only issue I have with this is the notice period. I think at least 3 months is okay.”

Victor Ezeja

Victor Ezeja is a passionate journalist with seven years of experience writing on economy, politics and energy. He holds a Master's degree in Mass Communication.

passport
Previous Story

Nigerian Govt Increases Passport Fee By 43%

chinwe examined
Next Story

Kassia, Victoria Turn Maternity Nurses In Big Brother House

Featured Stories

Latest from News

UBA Mourns Former Chairman, Chief Israel Ogbue, at 99

Chief Israel C. Ogbue, former Chairman of United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc, has died at the age of 99, Prime Business Africa reports. The Board of Directors, Management and Staff of UBA announced his passing in a statement on Wednesday, describing

Police Arrest TikTok User Mirabel Over Alleged Rape Claims

The Ogun State Police Command  has arrested a TikTok user, known as Mirabel, after an investigation found her viral claims of sexual assault were fabricated. Prime Business Africa had reported the Mirabel rape allegation when she was called upon by the Lagos

NCDMB Insists on Mandatory Remittance of 1% Nigerian Content Levy

The Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board (NCDMB) has reiterated that operators, contractors and service companies in Nigeria’s upstream oil and gas sector must continue to remit the statutory one per cent Nigerian Content Development Fund (NCDF) levy into accounts officially designated
passport
Previous Story

Nigerian Govt Increases Passport Fee By 43%

chinwe examined
Next Story

Kassia, Victoria Turn Maternity Nurses In Big Brother House

Don't Miss

summit

Tinubu Advocates Equitable Access To Capital Markets For Developing Countries

On January 19, 2024, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu underlined the
Anthrax Outbreak: Nigerians Urged to Avoid Consuming Hide

Anthrax Outbreak: Nigerians Urged To Avoid Consuming Ponmo, Bush Meat, Others

The Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development has issued