Kidnappers Release Luis Diaz’s Father After 13 Days 

November 9, 2023
IMG WA

Luis Manuel Díaz, the father of Liverpool forward Luis Diaz  on Thursday regained his freedom from the hands of kidnappers who are well known left-wing guerrillas.

The player’s father was kidnapped with his wife but the latter was soon released within hours while the kidnappers continued to keep hold of him which reached the 13th day on Thursday.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

Díaz Snr. was handed over to United Nations and Catholic church officials by members of the National Liberation Army (ELN).

Local media said Mr Díaz had travelled by military helicopter to the city of Valledupar, where he would undergo a medical examination before being returned to his family.

They also quoted authorities as saying that he was in a good state of health, with no signs of mistreatment.

Colombian newspaper, El Tiempo reports that there were tearful scenes in the neighbourhood where the couple lived, with family members taking to their cars to drive through the streets in celebration.

Most of them were dressed in Liverpool team shirts bearing the number 23 and Luis Díaz’s name.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp told TNT Sports that the footballer was “really happy”.

“We are delighted by the news of [Luis Díaz’s] father’s safe return and we thank all those involved in securing his release,” the club said on Twitter.

Luis Alfonso Díaz, a cousin of the footballer’s father, told Caracol Radio that it was “emotional” to learn that he had been freed “after so many days of sadness”.

“We feel a great satisfaction, we are glad that it’s come to an end,” he added.

President Gustavo Petro reacted on X, formerly Twitter, with the message: “Long live Freedom and Peace.”

The Colombian Football Federation issued a statement thanking all those responsible for Luis Manuel Díaz’s release, including the government, the military and the police.

It added: “Football is passion in peace. Let no-one ever think of attacking that reality again.”

Izuchukwu Okosi

Izuchukwu Okosi is a Nigerian sports and entertainment journalist with two decades of experience in the media industry having begun his media journey in 2002 as an intern at Mundial Sports International (MSI) and Africa Independent Television (AIT), owners of Daar Communications Plc.

Uzodinma Berates Oil Majors In Nigeria Over Environmental Negligence, Questions Their Investments
Previous Story

I Was Not Aware Of What Happened To NLC’s President In My State- Uzodinma

2024 Grammy Awards: See All Nigerian Artists Nominated
Next Story

2024 Grammy Awards: See All Nigerian Artists Nominated, Davido, Others

Featured Stories

Latest from News

Police Arrest TikTok User Mirabel Over Alleged Rape Claims

The Ogun State Police Command  has arrested a TikTok user, known as Mirabel, after an investigation found her viral claims of sexual assault were fabricated. Prime Business Africa had reported the Mirabel rape allegation when she was called upon by the Lagos

NCDMB Insists on Mandatory Remittance of 1% Nigerian Content Levy

The Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board (NCDMB) has reiterated that operators, contractors and service companies in Nigeria’s upstream oil and gas sector must continue to remit the statutory one per cent Nigerian Content Development Fund (NCDF) levy into accounts officially designated

Trump Weighs Military Action Against Iran as Diplomacy Continues

President Trump has been briefed on a series of military options for possible action against Iran, including scenarios that could involve sustained air and naval operations, according to senior U.S. and foreign officials. Even as preparations intensify, the White House is continuing
Uzodinma Berates Oil Majors In Nigeria Over Environmental Negligence, Questions Their Investments
Previous Story

I Was Not Aware Of What Happened To NLC’s President In My State- Uzodinma

2024 Grammy Awards: See All Nigerian Artists Nominated
Next Story

2024 Grammy Awards: See All Nigerian Artists Nominated, Davido, Others

Don't Miss

Danish Artist Ordered To Refund Museum For Empty Frames

Danish Artist Ordered To Refund Museum For Empty Frames

Danish conceptual artist Jens Haaning has been ordered by a

Portuguese Football Federation Sacks Santos

The Portugal Football Federation have relieved head coach Fernando Santos