Former Tesla Elevator Worker Rejects $15 million Court Ordered Elon Musk To Pay – Here’s Why

June 22, 2022

The $15 million awarded by a United States District, Judge William Orrick, to former Tesla elevator operator, Owen Diaz, has been rejected, with the ex-employee demanding the electric carmaker, owned by Elon Musk, pay more.

In April, Diaz had been granted the sum in form of compensation and damages for what he termed as racial discrimination against him while working for Tesla, after the judge slashed the $137 million the jury concluded on, with Orrick stating that the amount was too high.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

October last year, the jury had awarded compensatory damages of $6.9 million and punitive damages of $130 million. Diaz lawyers said the significant cut is based on a systemic bias judges have against jury.

The plaintiff, a Black American, had dragged Tesla to court, accusing colleagues and a supervisor at the company, where he worked for nine months, of using slurs, caricatures and swastikas towards him, making the workplace an hostile environment.

Demanding compensation for the event that transpired during his stay at Tesla, between 2015 and 2016, Diaz lawyer said the jury need to take another look at the situation, a decision that opens the door for a new trial, which the carmaker had asked for, but was previously rejected.

The presiding judge gave Diaz a two weeks ultimatum, between choosing the $15 million or go through a new trial, the former employee chose the latter.

In a brief filing at the federal court in San Francisco, US, on Tuesday, his lawyers said, “In rejecting the court’s excessive reduction by asking for a new trial, Mr. Diaz is again asking a jury of his peers to evaluate what Tesla did to him and to provide just compensation for the torrent of racist slurs that was directed at him.”

Featured Stories

Latest from Business

NGX

NGX Rebounds With N683bn Gain As Market Cap Settles At N122.23trn

The Nigerian Exchange (NGX) recovered from the slump recorded on Tuesday, February 17, with a N683.62 billion gain as the market capitalisation closed at N122.23 trillion on Wednesday, February 18. During trading the previous day, the NGX’s market capitalisation closed at N121.55

Kano Shuts Entertainment Centres for Ramadan

The Kano State Government has ordered the closure of all entertainment centres across the state ahead of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. The directive, announced on Tuesday by the Kano State Censorship Board, affects venues popularly known as gala houses as well as
Nigeria Now Leading Cement Exporter In Africa – Dangote

Why Tinubu’s Policies Can Crash Dollar Rate – Dangote

The Chairman of the Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote, has said that current government policies could significantly strengthen the naira against the US dollar, potentially bringing the exchange rate down to as low as ₦1,100 to $1. Dangote made the remarks on Tuesday
Previous Story

Tinubu: A Warrior, His Cheering Crowd And The Danger In-between

Next Story

Thales solidarity and Polaris Asso team up to train young Senegalese women in digital citizenship and digital careers 

Don't Miss

Yusuf Names U-23 Eagles Side For Tanzania, Team Departs Thursday

Nigeria U-23 national team head coach Salisu Yusuf on Thursday

Experts Discuss Youth Activism, Technology Amplification, Inclusive Governance At WACSW 2023

The West African Civil Society Week’23, a three-day program held