Death Toll In Papua New Guinea Landslide Rises To 2,000

May 27, 2024
Papua New Guinesa landslide

Not few than 2,000 people were buried alive in a massive landslide that occurred on Friday in Papua New Guinea, said the country’s national disaster centre.

Papua New Guinea is an island nation in Oceania. It lies in the south-western Pacific and includes the eastern half of New Guinea and several offshore islands.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

According to reports, the incident caused heavy destruction in Yambari village in Enga province.

In a letter to the United Nations, the acting director of Papua New Guinea’s National Disaster Center, Luseta Laso Mana, said the landslide “buried more than 2,000 people alive.”

The figure goes beyond the 670 estimated by the UN International Organisation for Migration (IOM) on Sunday morning.

READ ALSO: Morocco Earthquake: Rescuers Continue Search For Survivors As Death Toll Nears 3,000

Mana lamented that the landslide would create a severe economic challenge in the entire country.

Papua New Guinea’s population is estimated to be around 10 million people.

The landslide, according to an Associated Press report, also blocked a 200-meter stretch of the Enga province’s main highway with debris, creating a major obstacle for relief workers.

While a rescue operation is ongoing, Mana in the letter expressed worry that “The situation remains unstable due to the shifting ground, posing danger to both the rescue teams and survivors alike.”

A local builder was said to have donated an excavator on Sunday which was the first piece of earthmoving machine used in excavation to find bodies of victims buried in the rubbles while the PNG’s government later deployed more. .

Victor Ezeja

Victor Ezeja is a passionate journalist with seven years of experience writing on economy, politics and energy. He holds a Master's degree in Mass Communication.

Johnny Wactor
Previous Story

Johnny Wactor’s Top 5 Movies

Missed Flight: Keyamo Orders Probe Into Air Peace, Oshiomhole Clash
Next Story

Nigeria, Saudi Arabia To Resume Cargo Flight Operations – Keyamo

Featured Stories

Latest from World News

Starmer Eyes Billions in Extra Defence Spending

Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer is reportedly exploring plans to accelerate the UK’s defence spending, potentially committing billions of pounds more than previously planned. Downing Street sources say the proposals aim to meet an existing target of 3% of gross domestic product

Five Injured After Swiss Train Derails 

Five people have been injured after a regional train derailed in southern Switzerland, with police saying an avalanche may have crossed the tracks moments before the train passed. The accident happened early on Monday near the village of Goppenstein, as the area
Johnny Wactor
Previous Story

Johnny Wactor’s Top 5 Movies

Missed Flight: Keyamo Orders Probe Into Air Peace, Oshiomhole Clash
Next Story

Nigeria, Saudi Arabia To Resume Cargo Flight Operations – Keyamo

Don't Miss

Being vaccinated against Covid-19 opens doors

Collected By Carême Kouamé JOHANNESBURG, South Africa, 21st February 2022
Burna Boy Sets Record With Highest Grossing Venue

Burna Boy Makes Grammy History With Four Nominations

Grammy-winning artist Burna Boy, has once again etched his mark