AFCON 2023 Qualifier: NFF Security Committee Ready For Nigeria Versus Sao Tome/Principe Clash 

September 9, 2023

Chairman of the NFF Security Committee, Alhaji Babagana Kalli declared on Saturday that all safety and security arrangements have been perfected ahead of Sunday’s 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match between Nigeria’s Super Eagles and the Falcons and True Parrots of Sao Tome and Principe.

“We have held a series of meetings with representatives of all security agencies and we are all on the same page.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

“As I speak with you, we are having another meeting with the representatives of the Federal Road Safety Corps, DSS, Police and the Army.

“There is no small match in football again. Safety and security are very important aspects of the organization of any sporting event, and we are not unaware of that fact. We will still hold a number of meetings on Saturday evening and Sunday morning to perfect arrangements.”

His Excellency, Governor Umo Eno is expected at both the match and the earlier opening ceremony of the 79th NFF Annual General Assembly, alongside Sports Development Minister John Owan Enoh, Permanent Secretary Ismailia Abubakar, Nigeria’s FIFA Council Member and Member of the CAF Executive and Emergency Committees Amaju Melvin Pinnick and Akwa Ibom State Commissioner for Sports Monday Uko.

The visiting Falcons and True Parrots had their first training in Nigeria on Friday, and had their official training on Saturday evening (5pm) at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium.

Group leaders Nigeria trained at 6pm at the same venue.

The Super Eagles require the minimum win to finish top of the pool, having already qualified for the finals in Cote d’Ivoire early next year following their 3-2 defeat of Sierra Leone in Monrovia on 18th June.

Izuchukwu Okosi

Izuchukwu Okosi is a Nigerian sports and entertainment journalist with two decades of experience in the media industry having begun his media journey in 2002 as an intern at Mundial Sports International (MSI) and Africa Independent Television (AIT), owners of Daar Communications Plc.

Previous Story

Euro 2024 Qualifier: Ukraine, England Settle For Dour Stalemate 

Next Story

US Open: Gauff Fights Back Against Sabalenka, Wins First Grand Slam Title

Featured Stories

Latest from News

Nigerians Lured Into Foreign Wars, FG Warns

The federal government has warned that a growing number of Nigerians are being recruited under false pretences to fight in armed conflicts abroad. In a statement on Sunday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said some Nigerians had been promised well-paid jobs, security work,

Tinubu Sends Shettima to Kano after Singer Market Fire

President Bola Tinubu has asked Vice-President Kashim Shettima to lead a federal government delegation to the northern city of Kano to commiserate with traders affected by a major fire at the Singer Market. The blaze, which started on Saturday evening and burned
Previous Story

Euro 2024 Qualifier: Ukraine, England Settle For Dour Stalemate 

Next Story

US Open: Gauff Fights Back Against Sabalenka, Wins First Grand Slam Title

Don't Miss

Tinubu Says Reforms To Cut Debt Service To Revenue Ratio Will Be Painful For Nigerians

All-Africa Students Union Celebrates Day, Praises Tinubu Over Students Loan Bill Assent

In commemoration of the ‘2023 Africa Students Day’ held annually
Nigeria’s power generation has risen to 5,313 Mega Watts (MW), first time in three years, says the Minister of Power, Bayo Adelabu.

7.1million Unmetered Electricity Consumers Overbilled By DisCos- Nigerian Govt Reveals

It has been uncovered that over 7.1 million unmetered electricity