Formula One champion Max Verstappen on Thursday morning signed a new deal that keeps him at Red Bull to 2028.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

The 24-year-old Verstappen’s new deal was a reward for beating Lewis Hamilton to win his first world championship last year, with another five years added on the contract that ran through 2023.

“Choosing to stay to the 2028 season was an easy decision,” the Dutchman said in a statement.

“I love this team and last year was simply incredible. Our goal since we came together in 2016 was to win the championship and we have done that, so now it’s about keeping the number one on the car long-term.”

Verstappen, who made his F1 debut at the age of 17, will open his title defense in Bahrain on March 20.

“Our immediate focus is on retaining Max’s world championship title, but this deal also shows he is a part of the team’s long-term planning,” team principal Christian Horner said.

“With the Red Bull Powertrains division working towards the new engine regulations for 2026 we wanted to make sure we had the best driver on the grid secured for that car.”

Izuchukwu Okosi

Izuchukwu Okosi is a Nigerian sports and entertainment journalist with two decades of experience in the media industry having begun his media journey in 2002 as an intern at Mundial Sports International (MSI) and Africa Independent Television (AIT), owners of Daar Communications Plc.

Previous Story

UNTH Inaugurates Foundation Board Of Trustees

Next Story

Ja Rule, Irv Gotti Set To Dazzle On BET’s Murder Inc. Documentary Series

Featured Stories

Latest from News

MTN Shareholders, Karl Toriola Lose N581.57bn Within Three Days

FG to Review MTN Group’s Acquisition of IHS Towers Over Sector Impact

The Federal Government has said it will undertake a comprehensive assessment of the reported acquisition of IHS Towers by MTN Group, citing the strategic importance of telecommunications infrastructure to Nigeria’s national security, economic stability and digital growth, Prime Business Africa reports. In
African Countries With The Largest Proven Oil Reserves In 2025

Markets Fall as Iran Signals New Chance for Nuclear Talks

Global shares slipped and oil prices fell on Tuesday after Iran offered a cautiously positive response in nuclear talks with US officials in Geneva, easing tensions that had surged following President Donald Trump’s recent threats. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said “a
Previous Story

UNTH Inaugurates Foundation Board Of Trustees

Next Story

Ja Rule, Irv Gotti Set To Dazzle On BET’s Murder Inc. Documentary Series

Don't Miss

Uganda Economic Update: Improving Public Spending on Health to Build Human Capital

Uganda Economic Update: Improving Public Spending on Health to Build Human Capital

Kampala, Uganda | © Sarine Arslanian/Shutterstock.com KAMPALA, Uganda, 27 June

Fueling Uncertainty: What Government’s Naira-for-Crude Policy Means For Nigeria

 The Naira-for-Crude policy was introduced by the Nigerian government as a