TUC Threatens FG With Protest Over Delay In Negotiation, Gives ultimatum

July 25, 2023
TUC Threatens FG With Protest Over Delay In Negotiation, Gives ultimatum

The President of Trade Union Congress (TUC), Comrade Festus Osifor, has warned that workers will commence protest against the Federal Government should both parties fail to reach an agreement on 19 August 2023.

On Monday, Osifor said the government has two weeks to reach an agreement to prevent the workers from taking to the street over the hardship in the country. 

Join our WhatsApp Channel

He hinted that negotiation over their demands, which includes Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) such as CNG, providing palliatives and reduction in the cost of governance, has been slow.

“As at today we have formed technical committees on cash transfers, on intervention fund, on reduction of cost of governance, on energy and power (developing CNG as alternative to PMS) and fixing of refineries. 

“We also have technical committees on education and health and Mass Transit,” Osifor said while briefing journalist. 

He said the government needs to fast-track action, as some technical committees haven’t met, while some have, “Our position is that government should fast track action and processes are concluded to ensure that the sufferings of Nigerians are ameliorated,” Osifor stated. 

The TUC chief said eight weeks was given by the government, but the government has been slow in the discussion while Nigerians have been trekking to work. 

“Government gave a timeline of eight weeks, begining from June 19, and if you do your calculation, eight weeks is going to be end by August 19. 

“So far we have stayed more than one month and we felt that we are not going at the speed we anticipated and we want the government to fast tract action to ensure that between now and next two weeks all the committees must have submitted their report so that the Presidential Steering Committee can conclude it’s work immediately because we cannot continue to blow big, big grammar while Nigerians are suffering and people are trekking long distances to work.”

Featured Stories

Latest from Business

NGX

NGX Rebounds With N683bn Gain As Market Cap Settles At N122.23trn

The Nigerian Exchange (NGX) recovered from the slump recorded on Tuesday, February 17, with a N683.62 billion gain as the market capitalisation closed at N122.23 trillion on Wednesday, February 18. During trading the previous day, the NGX’s market capitalisation closed at N121.55

Kano Shuts Entertainment Centres for Ramadan

The Kano State Government has ordered the closure of all entertainment centres across the state ahead of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. The directive, announced on Tuesday by the Kano State Censorship Board, affects venues popularly known as gala houses as well as
Nigeria Now Leading Cement Exporter In Africa – Dangote

Why Tinubu’s Policies Can Crash Dollar Rate – Dangote

The Chairman of the Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote, has said that current government policies could significantly strengthen the naira against the US dollar, potentially bringing the exchange rate down to as low as ₦1,100 to $1. Dangote made the remarks on Tuesday
Naira Gains More As Exchange Rate Drops To N1,300/$1 At Official Market
Previous Story

Why Naira Still Under Pressure

Naira Appreciates At Official Market As Dollar Supply Rises On Friday
Next Story

Naira To Dollar Rate Hits N792/$1, Black Market Price Up N23

Don't Miss

NCC Still Committed To Digital Job Creation For Youths – Danbatta

In line with one of the pillars of the National

Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay Launch 2030 World Cup Bid

Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Paraguay on Tuesday officially launched their