Seplat Energy, Immigration Service Settle Job Dispute Involving CEO, Roger Brown

April 21, 2023

Seplat Energy and the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) have settled their dispute as the latter withdraws the lawsuit filed against the oil and gas company.

The Nigeria Immigration Service had sued Seplat Energy for breaching the Immigration Act 2015 after employing its Chief Executive Officer, Roger Brown, without adhering to the provisions of the act.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

According to the NIS, Brown was employed without the consent of the comptroller-general of the immigration service after the top directors conspired to breach the regulations.

It was also revealed that Brown was not using a valid Expatriate Quota, as he was in possession of a Combined Expatriate Residence Permit and Aliens Card (CERPAC).

The lawsuit, filed with the Federal High Court, was disclosed by Seplat last week, however, on Thursday, the company said the Nigeria Immigration Service has withdrawn the case.

In the statement released by Seplat Energy, the firm said: “it has become aware of the Notice of Withdrawal/Discontinuance of the legal action that was previously instituted at the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, by the Nigeria Immigration Service (acting for the Federal Government of Nigeria) against the Company and some of its Directors and Officers.

“The Notice of Withdrawal/Discontinuance of the action dated 6 April 2023, was issued by the Director Legal Services of the Nigeria Immigration Service and stated in part that “the Claimant hereby discontinues all the proceedings in this charge against the above-named Defendants”.

Seplat Energy further stated that there’s an ongoing discussion with the Ministry of Interior to settle the work permit, residential permit and visa of Brown after they were seized by the ministry, forcing the CEO to leave Nigeria and operate from the firm’s UK office.

“The Company continues to engage with the Ministry of Interior to bring closure to the false allegations presented to the Ministry as a result of which the residency status of its Chief Executive Officer was withdrawn.

“The Company also refers to its Announcement of 6 April 2023 confirming that the Federal High Court sitting in Lagos had vacated the ex parte Interim Orders against Seplat, its CEO and its Board Chairman, including the orders that restrained the Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Roger Brown from participating in the running of the Company,” the statement reads.

Seplat CEO Roger Brown

Featured Stories

Latest from Business

NGX

NGX Rebounds With N683bn Gain As Market Cap Settles At N122.23trn

The Nigerian Exchange (NGX) recovered from the slump recorded on Tuesday, February 17, with a N683.62 billion gain as the market capitalisation closed at N122.23 trillion on Wednesday, February 18. During trading the previous day, the NGX’s market capitalisation closed at N121.55

Kano Shuts Entertainment Centres for Ramadan

The Kano State Government has ordered the closure of all entertainment centres across the state ahead of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. The directive, announced on Tuesday by the Kano State Censorship Board, affects venues popularly known as gala houses as well as
Nigeria Now Leading Cement Exporter In Africa – Dangote

Why Tinubu’s Policies Can Crash Dollar Rate – Dangote

The Chairman of the Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote, has said that current government policies could significantly strengthen the naira against the US dollar, potentially bringing the exchange rate down to as low as ₦1,100 to $1. Dangote made the remarks on Tuesday
Alec Baldwin Manslaughter Charge To Be Dropped
Previous Story

Alec Baldwin Manslaughter Charge To Be Dropped

New Music Friday With PBA: Olamide, Chike, Wande Coal, Others
Next Story

New Music Friday With PBA: Olamide, Chike, Wande Coal, Others

Don't Miss

Tertiary Education in Nigeria

Banks’ Unfair Deal With Manufacturers

For manufacturing in Nigeria, access to funds is central to
enJEslim aHMNR

Nigerians Want Action, Not Statement On Security Matters – House Committee Chairman On Information, Rotimi

Chairman House Committee on Information and Public Affairs, Honourable Akin