Norwegian Oil Firm To Reduce Business In Nigeria, Sell $3.5 billion Oilfield Stake

January 27, 2023
Nigeria Week Ahead: CBN Rate Decision, Inflation & Oil in Focus

Investment bank, Standard Chartered, has been hired by Norwegian energy firm, Equinor, to sell its stake in the offshore Agbami oilfield.

Equinor opted to sell the stake due to a reduction in production output from the Agbami oilfield, according to a report by Reuters.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

The decision comes after Equinor secured a two-decade extension deal for offshore block OML 128 license with the oil industry authority, Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited, in 2022. 

The OML 128 is part of the Agbami field, where Equinor owns a 20.21 per cent stake, Prime 127 accounts for 12.49 per cent, and the major operator, Chevron, holds a 67.30 per cent interest. 

It was learnt that Equinor recorded a 40 per cent discovery rate in the Agbami field, with production dropping from 36,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day in 2019 to 29,000 oil equivalent per day in 2020. 

Equinor has drilled 10 wells in the Agbami field and invested $3.5 billion in the Agbami oilfield, however, it was disclosed that the company employed Standard Chartered to help conduct the sell-off at about $1 billion. 

Aside from Equinor, some foreign oil and gas companies; TotalEnergies, Shell, and ExxonMobil have also moved to sell their assets in Nigeria. 

Recall that in February 2022, US firm, ExxonMobil, had agreed to sell its entire share capital of Mobil Producing Nigeria Unlimited to Seplat Energy for $1.28 billion. 

However, the deal has been trialed by controversy, with the Nigerian National Petroleum Company blocking the offer from Seplat due to the regulator’s interest in the firm ExxonMobil is selling. 

As a result, the completion of the deal has been frustrated, with the needed Ministerial consent held back. This had led to claims that the acquisition has been halted, however, Seplat said it has not received “official notification of such a decision,” and the company is “seeking clarification from the relevant authorities. We will continue to work with all parties to achieve a successful outcome to the proposed acquisition,” a statement by the firm last year reads.

Featured Stories

Latest from Business

NGX

NGX Rebounds With N683bn Gain As Market Cap Settles At N122.23trn

The Nigerian Exchange (NGX) recovered from the slump recorded on Tuesday, February 17, with a N683.62 billion gain as the market capitalisation closed at N122.23 trillion on Wednesday, February 18. During trading the previous day, the NGX’s market capitalisation closed at N121.55

Kano Shuts Entertainment Centres for Ramadan

The Kano State Government has ordered the closure of all entertainment centres across the state ahead of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. The directive, announced on Tuesday by the Kano State Censorship Board, affects venues popularly known as gala houses as well as
Nigeria Now Leading Cement Exporter In Africa – Dangote

Why Tinubu’s Policies Can Crash Dollar Rate – Dangote

The Chairman of the Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote, has said that current government policies could significantly strengthen the naira against the US dollar, potentially bringing the exchange rate down to as low as ₦1,100 to $1. Dangote made the remarks on Tuesday
Akwa Ibom 2023: Michael Enyong Now PDP Guber Candidate
Previous Story

Akwa Ibom 2023: Michael Enyong Now PDP Guber Candidate

How Ready Is PR & Marketing For Google's New VPS?
Next Story

How Ready Is PR & Marketing For Google’s New VPS?

Don't Miss

John Holt, CWG, Others End Nigerian Stock Market Losing Streak With N141.70bn Gain

NGX Market Cap Up By N953.69bn To N103.77trn

The market capitalisation of the Nigerian Exchange (NGX) increased by
Crooks

FBI Used Israeli Tech To Unlock Smartphone Of Trump’s Shooter

Days after the assassination attempt on former US President, Donald