Nigeria’s Oil Regulator, NUPRC, Blocks Seplat, ExxonMobil’s Acquisition Deal, After Buhari’s Approval

August 9, 2022

The Chief Executive of the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC), Gbenga Komolafe, has denied the approval of Seplat’s acquisition of ExxonMobil’s Nigerian subsidiary.

On Monday, Seplat had announced that President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the acquisition of Mobil Producing Nigeria Unlimited (MPNU) through his position as the Minister of Petroleum.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

Seplat had disclosed the approval after the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) initially blocked the deal, in hope of taking over Mobil Producing Nigeria Unlimited assets.

NNPC had filed a lawsuit to counter the acquisition, with the court declaring both ExxonMobil and Seplat maintaining status quo, by not transferring or exchanging the assets of the shallow water business.

However, after the publication of the approval, the head of the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission, which is the regulator of the Nigerian oil industry, told AriseTV that the regulator has not approved the deal.

Having denied the approval, a statement from NUPRC, also disapproved of the acquisition, stating, “The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) affirms that status quo remains in respect of ExxonMobil/Seplat Energy share acquisition.

Responding to media enquiries on latest development about the transaction, the Chief Executive of the NUPRC Engr. Gbenga Komolafe clarified that the Commission in line with the provisions of the Petroleum Industry Act 2021 is the sole regulator in dealing with such matters in the Nigerian upstream sector.

As it were, the issue at stake is purely a regulatory matter and the Commission had earlier communicated the decline of Ministerial assent to ExxonMobil in this regard. As such the Commission further affirms that the status quo remains.”

Featured Stories

Latest from Business

NGX

NGX Rebounds With N683bn Gain As Market Cap Settles At N122.23trn

The Nigerian Exchange (NGX) recovered from the slump recorded on Tuesday, February 17, with a N683.62 billion gain as the market capitalisation closed at N122.23 trillion on Wednesday, February 18. During trading the previous day, the NGX’s market capitalisation closed at N121.55

Kano Shuts Entertainment Centres for Ramadan

The Kano State Government has ordered the closure of all entertainment centres across the state ahead of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. The directive, announced on Tuesday by the Kano State Censorship Board, affects venues popularly known as gala houses as well as
Nigeria Now Leading Cement Exporter In Africa – Dangote

Why Tinubu’s Policies Can Crash Dollar Rate – Dangote

The Chairman of the Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote, has said that current government policies could significantly strengthen the naira against the US dollar, potentially bringing the exchange rate down to as low as ₦1,100 to $1. Dangote made the remarks on Tuesday
African Countries With Highest Pension Fund Asset Growth
Previous Story

African Countries With Highest Pension Fund Asset Growth

Africa Is World's Most Expensive Region For Mobile Data – New Survey
Next Story

Africa Is World’s Most Expensive Region For Mobile Data – New Survey

Don't Miss

Nigeria's Equity Market Declines By 1.99% in March Despite Weekly Gains

Nigeria Equity Market Sees Largest 2025 Decline As NGX Loses N1.06trn

The Nigerian equities market witnessed its largest daily decline of
Energy, Exchange Rate, Transportation Top Three Drivers Of Inflation In Nigeria - CBN Survey

Nigeria’s Inflation Projected To Reach 32.63% Amidst Economic Challenges

Muhammad Sani Abdullahi, Deputy Governor of Nigeria’s Central Bank, unveiled