The Military on Monday ousted the democratic government in Burkina Faso, a group of soldiers announced on state television.

 

The Coup comes in the wake of a 36-hour uprising that toppled the third West African head of state in eight months.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

 

“A decision made with the sole purpose of allowing our country to get back on the right track,” said Capt. Sidsoré Kader Ouedraogo, flanked by 13 men in camouflage gear.

 

The military forces have subsequently suspended the constitution, dissolved the government and closed the borders, Ouedraogo said, without spilling any blood.

 

 

 

 

They are holding President Roch Marc Kaboré and other politicians in a safe place that “respects their dignity,” he added.

 

The words of Burkina Faso’s apparent new rulers contradicted that of Kaboré’s party, which had asserted an hour earlier that the leader had survived an assassination attempt.

 

Kaboré took over the reins of government in 2015 but faced a barrage of Islamist insurgencies leading to deaths of thousands of Burkinabes and leaving more than a million people homeless.

 

 

Izuchukwu Okosi

Izuchukwu Okosi is a Nigerian sports and entertainment journalist with two decades of experience in the media industry having begun his media journey in 2002 as an intern at Mundial Sports International (MSI) and Africa Independent Television (AIT), owners of Daar Communications Plc.

Save the Children
Previous Story

Group Seeks Increase Of Education Funding By 14 Per cent In Nigeria

Jigawa Residents Spent More On Petrol In June
Next Story

FG Suspends Removal of Petrol Subsidy Indefinitely

Featured Stories

Latest from Africa

Tinubu Urges Release of South Sudan Vice-President

President Bola Tinubu has called for the immediate and unconditional release of South Sudan’s First Vice-President, Riek Machar, as part of efforts to revive the country’s stalled peace process. In a message delivered by Vice-President Kashim Shettima, Mr Tinubu said Nigeria remained

Morocco Earmarks $330m for Flood-Hit Northern Regions

The Morocco government has approved a 3bn dirham ($330m) emergency package to support communities in its northern provinces after weeks of unusually heavy rainfall triggered widespread flooding. In a statement on Thursday, the royal palace said King Mohammed VI had ordered a
Save the Children
Previous Story

Group Seeks Increase Of Education Funding By 14 Per cent In Nigeria

Jigawa Residents Spent More On Petrol In June
Next Story

FG Suspends Removal of Petrol Subsidy Indefinitely

Don't Miss

US Economic Soft Landing In Sight, But Housing Affordability Looms Large

US Economic Soft Landing In Sight, But Housing Affordability Looms Large

In the wake of a robust job report, the Federal

INEC Rejects Claims of Excluding Labour Party from 2026 FCT Area Council Polls

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has rejected allegations that