Groups Protest Compulsory Covid-19 Vaccination In Edo

August 31, 2021

CIVIL Society Organisations have condemned the compulsory Covid-19 vaccination policy of the Edo state government.

Some members of the groups in Benin-city, protested against plans by the state government to make it compulsory for residents to take Covid-19 vaccine before accessing large gatherings.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

The protesters, who marched through the streets of Benin-city with placards, said the plan by the government was tantamount to trampling on the fundamental rights of the citizens.

The protesters under the aegis of Equity Initiatives, while addressing journalists at the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) Secretariat in Benin-city, asked the governor to address infrastructural decay and insecurity in the state.

The Chairman of the Edo State Council of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Sir Roland Osakue, who was represented by the secretary of the council, Comrade Ti­tus Akhigbe, addressed the protesters at the NUJ premises.

He called on the gov­ernment to listen to the voice of the people and urged the protesters to go about the ac­tion peacefully.

Convener and spokesperson for the groups, Chris Iyama, said, “We are here to express our displeasure over the government move to force Edo people to take Covid-19 vaccine. This is against our fundamental human rights.

“You cannot force someone to eat what he or she doesn’t want. Are we in banana republic? We own the state, not the government.”

Also, the interim state chairman, Edo Civil Society, Bishop Osadolor Anthony Ochei, said citizens had the right to decide whether to be vaccinated or not.

“If the state government has failed, we cannot fail ourselves. The government has the right to make policies but this policy is not law,” he said.

The protesters had earlier taken their protest to the state Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) and the state Government House.

Read also: Stop Plea Bargain, Former Taraba Commissioner Tells EFCC

The Governor, Godwin Obaseki, at a briefing last week, had stated that for residents in the state to access large gatherings such as churches, mosques, banks, wedding or burial receptions among others, they must present vaccination certificates from the second week of September.

Obaseki said the third wave of the pandemic had been devastating in parts of the country, hence the need to introduce measures to protect residents.

 

+ posts

Featured Stories

Latest from News

Kano Shuts Entertainment Centres for Ramadan

The Kano State Government has ordered the closure of all entertainment centres across the state ahead of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. The directive, announced on Tuesday by the Kano State Censorship Board, affects venues popularly known as gala houses as well as

Nigerian Senate Reduces Notice Period for 2027 Elections

The Nigerian Senate has amended the Electoral Act Amendment Bill, reducing the notice period for elections from 360 days to 300 days. The change gives the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) flexibility to schedule the 2027 presidential and national assembly elections between December 2026 and
Nigeria Now Leading Cement Exporter In Africa – Dangote

Why Tinubu’s Policies Can Crash Dollar Rate – Dangote

The Chairman of the Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote, has said that current government policies could significantly strengthen the naira against the US dollar, potentially bringing the exchange rate down to as low as ₦1,100 to $1. Dangote made the remarks on Tuesday
Technology
Previous Story

FG To Establish Six Technology Innovation Centres

Moghalu Carpets CBN, Reveals Problems With Emefiele’s Naira Policy
Next Story

Moghalu Blames Nigeria’s Security Crisis on Poor Education

Don't Miss

Dakuku Peterside

Dakuku And The Art of Redefining Intellectual Politics

By Olugbenga Oke Intellectuals play a crucial role in shaping

Ijaw Youths Warn Against Reopening Of Dowen College

The Ijaw Youth Council (IYC) has warned against reopening Dowen