FG Moves To Appeal N20bn Court Ruling On Igboho

September 18, 2021

ATTORNEY GENERAL of the Federal (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), has said Federal Government would appeal the ruling of Oyo State High Court which awarded N20 billion damages against the AGF and Department of State Services (DSS) for allegedly invading the residence of Sunday Adeyemo (AKA Igboho) by the DSS on July 1.

Prime Business Africa had reported that the court on Friday awarded the Sum of N20 billion against the duo of AGF and DSS as exemplary damages in a fundamental human rights suit filed by Igboho.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

Malami revealed the position of the federal governnent on it in a statement he made shortly after the ruling, declaring that the process of appeal had already begun.

Igboho’s counsel, Mr Yomi Alliyu (SAN), had filed a N500 billion fundamental human rights enforcement suit against the AGF, DSS and Director of State Services in Oyo State, over the invasion of Igboho’s residence in Soka area of Ibadan.

But, counsel to the AGF, Mr Abdullah Abubakar, had argued that there was no evidence before the court that the blood seen in the video clip tendered by Alliyu belonged to a human being.

Counsel to the DSS, T. A. Nurudeen, aligned himself with the submissions of the counsel to the AGF insisting that there must be proof from a haematologist to show that the blood seen in the video belonged to a human being.

Nurudeen also tendered a video clip which was admitted by the court where Igboho allegedly threatened to create an Oduduwa Republic, while urging the Yoruba to protect themselves with charms and guns.

In his ruling on Friday, Justice Ladiran Akintola, however, said the procedures adopted by the DSS in handling the incident was unprofessional, one based on arbitrary prejudice.

Victor Ezeja

Victor Ezeja is a passionate journalist with seven years of experience writing on economy, politics and energy. He holds a Master's degree in Mass Communication.

Previous Story

Truck Drivers Lament Extortion At Apapa Port

Godwin Emefiele
Next Story

AbokiFX Not Forex Trading Platform

Featured Stories

Latest from News

Unity–Providus Merger: Customers May Face Short-Term Disruptions

The proposed merger between Unity Bank Plc and Providus Bank Limited has entered its final stage, with integration activities underway following regulatory approval and shareholder backing. For customers, the main concern is likely to be short-term disruption as the two banks combine

Mugabe’s Son Arrested in South Africa Over Alleged Shooting

Bellarmine Chatunga, the son of former Zimbabwean leader Robert Mugabe, has been arrested in South Africa following an alleged shooting at his residence in Johannesburg. Police say the incident took place at his home in the upmarket Hyde Park suburb, where an

Nigeria-Germany Talks Raise Hopes for Power, Jobs, Security Gains

Millions of Nigerians struggling with unreliable electricity and limited job opportunities could see some relief after fresh talks between President Bola Tinubu and Germany’s Chancellor Friedrich Merz. In a brief phone call on Wednesday, the two leaders discussed closer cooperation on power,

EU Funding Boosts Nigeria’s Internet Expansion Plans

Faster and more reliable internet could soon reach millions of Nigerians after the European Union pledged €22m to support the country’s fibre-optic expansion. The funding, announced in Abuja, is part of the government’s Project BRIDGE initiative, which aims to extend broadband access
Previous Story

Truck Drivers Lament Extortion At Apapa Port

Godwin Emefiele
Next Story

AbokiFX Not Forex Trading Platform

Don't Miss