China’s Biggest Bank Scam Triggers Multiple Protests, Gov’t Takes Action

July 13, 2022

Renewed protest in China on Sunday, over the nation’s biggest bank scam, has forced the Chinese authorities to conclude on refunding some customers with deposit up to 50,000 yuan ($7,423), while investigation is ongoing.

The protesters were scammed by a private investment firm, Henan Xincaifu Group Investment Holding Co., alongside their employees in five banks which the firm has stake in.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

Henan Xincaifu had drafted fake lending agreements in a bid to transfer customers’ deposits, and also promoted false financial products online to lure unsuspecting victims to disburse money to them.

Why Chinese government wants to pay some scammed customers?

The bank scam had triggered protests in May, last month, as well as this month. The recent protest took place at the country’s People’s Bank of China in Zhengzhou, the provincial capital of Henan, with protesters chanting “Return my money”.

And with tensions rising between the customers and authorities, following the weekend’s confrontation protest, the Chinese government decided to pay some of the lowest depositors.

This is expected to tame the risk the protest will have on the banking system and security of the country, as the protest is likely to spread panic among customers, Bloomberg reported on Tuesday.

China Merchant Securities Co. chief bank analyst, Liao Zhiming, said, “The latest move shows the local government is trying to maintain social stability by advancing a small amount of payments out of their pockets.”

Custoners with accounts in four rural banks affected in the central province of Henan and one in Anhui would be refunded, but the clients with significant amount locked away in the banks fear that they might not receive full payment of their money.

Previous Story

Clearing Agents Want Gov’t To Increase Age Limit For Imported Vehicles, Reveals Preferred Age

Next Story

A World Made Smaller With New Connections: Truecaller Unveils ‘Open Doors’

Featured Stories

Latest from Business

Soludo Seals Shops for Two Weeks over Monday Sit-at-Home

The Anambra State Government has sealed dozens of shops at two major markets in Idemili North council area after traders failed to open for business on Monday, despite a directive to resume trading. The affected markets are the Building Materials Market in

Black Market, Official Window FX Rates Gap Widens By N100

The gap between the black market and the official window widened to N100.88 kobo on Monday, February 16, from N49.58 kobo on Friday, February 13. In the black market on Monday, the foreign exchange (FX) rate for the United States dollar (USD) increased

BUA Group Signs Strategic Partnership with UAE Firms

BUA Group has signed a strategic Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with UAE-based AD Ports Group and MAIR Group in Abu Dhabi, in a deal aimed at strengthening industrial development, trade, and logistics between West Africa, the Gulf, and Asia. The agreement follows
Previous Story

Clearing Agents Want Gov’t To Increase Age Limit For Imported Vehicles, Reveals Preferred Age

Next Story

A World Made Smaller With New Connections: Truecaller Unveils ‘Open Doors’

Don't Miss

Africa No Longer Facing Mpox Emergency, CDC Says

Africa is no longer experiencing a mpox public health emergency,
SEC Urges Private Sector To Spearhead Infrastructure Financing In West Africa

SEC Urges Private Sector To Spearhead Infrastructure Financing In West Africa

Mr. Lamido Yuguda, the Director General of the Securities and