China, Nigeria Diplomatic Relations Vital For Africa’s Development - Shettima

China Pledges Full Funding For Abuja-Kano, Port Harcourt- Maiduguri Railway Projects

7 months ago
1 min read

From the Belt and Road Initiative Forum in Beijing, China’s President Xi Jinping has announced his country’s commitment to fully fund and complete the Abuja-Kano and Port Harcourt-Maiduguri railway projects in Nigeria.

The announcement came during a bilateral meeting between President Xi and Nigeria’s Vice President Sen. Kashim Shettima, representing President Bola Tinubu. Stanley Nkwocha, Senior Special Assistant on Media and Communications to the Vice President, disclosed this in an official statement.

President Xi Jinping emphasized the importance of the collaboration between the two nations, acknowledging the delays caused by the absence of Chinese funding since the project’s initiation.

He stated, “China had agreed to provide 85% financing for the construction of the Abuja-Kano and Port-Harcourt-Maiduguri railway projects, while Nigeria, which had the duty of paying the balance 15%, fulfilled its funding obligations from the project’s inception.”

READ ALSO: China, Nigeria Diplomatic Relations Vital For Africa’s Development – Shettima

Furthermore, President Xi discussed the safeguarding of Chinese citizens employed in Nigeria and expressed his commitment to strengthening the bilateral relationship between the two countries. He vowed to provide more political support and promote collaboration across various sectors. In addition, he commended Nigeria’s adherence to the One China Policy.

President Xi Jinping’s commitment extended to boosting Nigeria’s exports, particularly in the area of peanuts. He also highlighted the significance of the China-Africa talent initiative in their cooperation with Nigeria.

The Port-Harcourt to Maiduguri rail project, approved by the Federal Executive Council in 2020 with an estimated budget of $3.02 billion, was discussed in the context of securing funding from Chinese syndicates.

This financing plan covered 85% of the project’s cost, with the Federal government responsible for the remaining 15%. The project, aimed at linking the eastern rail corridor of Nigeria, was ceremoniously inaugurated by former President Buhari in 2021.

President Xi’s commitment to financing these crucial railway projects marks a significant turning point in China-Nigeria relations, demonstrating the deepening collaboration between the two nations in infrastructure development and economic partnerships.


Follow Us

Latest from Latest News

Don't Miss

CCECC Pledges To Complete Abuja Light Rail Project In 8 Months

China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation Ltd (CCECC), a