Breaking: Supreme Court Sets March 3 For Final Judgement On CBN’s Naira Redesign Policy

February 22, 2023
Nigeria's Treasury Bills Surpass N6.6trn In 2023 Amid Economic Headwinds

The final Supreme Court judgement on the Naira redesign policy of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) will be delivered on Friday, 3 March 2023.

The Supreme Court, led by seven justices, revealed this on Wednesday, 22 February 2023, after they insisted that the case between 10 states against the Federal Government must be heard today.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

Prime Business Africa had reported earlier that Justice John Okoro prevented any action that will prevent the hearing of the case.

The Justice said it doesn’t want the Supreme Court to be used as a scapegoat when it was asked by Lagos State’s attorney, Moyosore Onigbanjo, to prohibit the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, from representing the Federal Government over an act that contravened initial court orders, Punch reported.

“you are not a stranger to this country,” Justice Okoro said, adding “We don’t want a situation where the judiciary will be a scapegoat. We refuse to be the scapegoat”. 

“We are hearing this matter today. We don’t intend to keep this matter longer,” the Judge said.

During the hearing of the case, a legal practitioner representing FG, Kanu Agabi, said the Supreme Court doesn’t have jurisdiction to hear the suit filed initially filed by Kaduna, Kogi and Zamfara States before 13 other states joined them in the suit.

Agabi said with the plaintiffs didn’t add the CBN as a respondent in the suit despite mentioning the central bank 32 times in the states’ originating summons.

Also, the counsel to Jigawa state, Abiodun Owonikoko, asked the court to rule against President Muhammadu Buhari’s directive in a nationwide broadcast last week Thursday, 16 February 2023, to the CBN.

Buhari had informed CBN to only circulate the N200 notes, a directive that was seen as a breach by Owonikoko against the Supreme Court order last week Wednesday.

During the hearing today, Owonikoko said: “We urge the court to set aside the directive of President Buhari limiting the supreme court’s directive to only the old N200 note. It is a disrespect to the authority of the court.”

The final judgement has now been set for next week Friday.

+ posts

Featured Stories

Latest from Business

Bulls Charge Ahead As NGX Shatters Records As Market Cap Surpasses N50trn

NGX Gains Over N178.91bn As Ikeja Hotel Lead Gainers

The Nigerian Exchange (NGX) Limited, also known as the stock market, closed with an equity capitalisation of N91.28 trillion on Friday, November 28. According to data from the bourse, the market capitalisation increased by N178.91 billion from the N91.10 trillion reported on
Explosion
Previous Story

JUST-IN: Explosion Rocks Pro-Atiku Lawmaker’s Media House In Rivers

Danjuma, Other Christian Elders Endorse Obi
Next Story

Danjuma, Other Christian Elders Endorse Obi

Don't Miss

Minister Pantami

CAN Suspends Caretaker Chairman For Congratulating Pantami

Caretaker Chairman of Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Gombe State
National Grid BlackOut x

Between Our National Greed And The Frequent Power Grid Collapse

By Tony Onyima The phrase “power grid collapse” has become